WPI CSMS TA vs Columbia MS AD

newtt

WPI CSMS TA vs Columbia MS AD  

3 members have voted

1. 1. which one to choose

• Worcester Polytechnic Institute
    • Columbia U

Hi,

You know, CU ranks 16th in the US NEWS on CS. But WPI's CS does not even have a specific ranking number. I want to find a good job in US when graduate, so would you please show some suggestions? If go to WPI, then I will not spend any money. However, if go to Columbia, I have to pay a lot of money and it becomes an investment for its unknown rewards. But, NYC has more job opportunities. Oh,, soooo tough choice.

Edited by newtt

In general, it's a good idea to take the funded offer unless you know that it will not work out for you (e.g. research interests don't fit). If you're doing a coursework masters, that isn't as big an issue unless the placement rates at WPI are particularly bad. Note that Worcester is very close to Boston, which has plenty of high-tech opportunities itself, so I don't think you have to worry about that as much.

I agree with metasyntactic. Check out WPI for professors and projects you are interested in and if you feel like you can find a good fit for your interests, go for it. Furthermore, given the fact that WPI is so close to other universities in Boston (Boston U, Harvard, MIT, Northeastern, ...), I am fairly certain that you would be able to find a professor at WPI who on some level collaborates with others from these "bigger name" schools. In that case you will get your name out there either way and could even end up working closely with some of those collaborators or scoring a rec letter from them.

But Columbia does sound nice though.....tough choice. Do they flat out deny funding to MS students or did you just not get allocated any? Meaning, is there any opportunity to get funding once you accept the offer?

I agree with metasyntactic. Check out WPI for professors and projects you are interested in and if you feel like you can find a good fit for your interests, go for it. Furthermore, given the fact that WPI is so close to other universities in Boston (Boston U, Harvard, MIT, Northeastern, ...), I am fairly certain that you would be able to find a professor at WPI who on some level collaborates with others from these "bigger name" schools. In that case you will get your name out there either way and could even end up working closely with some of those collaborators or scoring a rec letter from them.

But Columbia does sound nice though.....tough choice. Do they flat out deny funding to MS students or did you just not get allocated any? Meaning, is there any opportunity to get funding once you accept the offer?

Oh, Columbia will not offer me any funding this fall.