GPPI, Duke, USC, or work?

hls24

I am a Senior at Brandeis, got into USC with deans merit scholorship, Duke with 15k and GPPI with unknown assistance yet (find out next week) -- Wondering what to do. I did not get into Kennedy, but I do not have professional experience. I was thinking whether to go g'town, if anywhere really. I have 670 V 790 M GRE, 3.55 Brandeis and some experience already (Communications director on a NYC city council race, as well as an Intern in the NY governor's executive chamber, our version of NY oval office). I was wondering if i should go to Georgetown and go that route, or just wait 2-3 years working (I have an offer out to go work for Deval Patricks Gov Campaign, which could lead to a real job for next year) and then try to reapply to Kennedy. I don't exactly have a read on my chances at that point however, and dont wanna wait 2 years and still not get in. However, if im gonna have a masters for 50 years, makes sense to have the best on possible right, even if it means waiting two years? Advice? Keep in mind the cost isnt really that much of a motivating factor, more the prestige/connections etc. Also staying in Boston is easy in a way cause I go to school here right now so lots of my friends are still around. thanks

Tough call. I'm inclined to say go for the work experience-- if you've got a good opportunity lined up. The advantage of going to grad school is waiting out the economy. Getting work experience will help not only (maybe) get into a better program later, but it will also help figure out what you want to do. If you still have the same goals, you will go into a grad program with more focus once you've been out of school for awhile. Those are all excellent programs though, so either way you'll have good options later.

Edited by wooldogg

If you have a job offer, you should almost definitely work for a few years (and, even if you don't have an offer, I'd still strongly consider working). You'll learn so much working, you probably will have more options of graduate programs with a longer resume (Kennedy certainly would seem within your reach), and you'll be a more interesting graduate student. Every post-MPP/MPA person I talked to when I was at that juncture several years ago told me to go work. I haven't regretted it. My friends who went straight through to law school and such ended up feeling burnt out on school because of going straight through. I'm so excited to go back now that I've been working. Plus if you end up not liking a job or a field you thought you'd love, grad school can be used to transition into a different field and to help you direct your interests towards a new passion. I really don't see any advantage to going straight through except that picking up and moving your life in a couple years might be harder (new relationships, the pain of not having an income once you've had one, etc.), but cross that bridge when you get there. After 16 years of schooling, trying something different for a while is undoubtedly going to be educational.

Since you have an interesting job already lined up, I'd lean slightly toward the work experience route. You've got some great school choices though, I see your dilemma.

The economy and job market will be a lot better by the time you graduate, but it will still help you in your future job search to have some experience besides internships.

I was thinking whether to go g'town, if anywhere really.

I have to agree with the advice given by other posters about the value of working before grad school. After working several years after undergrad I now have a better sense of what I want to do, and I'm much more excited about going back to grad school (than I would have been straight out of undergrad).

As someone who's trying to decide between Duke and Georgetown for the fall, though, can I ask why you'd choose to go to GPPI if you start in the fall (especially given that Duke offered you money)?