Masters in Applied Economics (UCLA)

PranavM98

Hi Everyone!

I have received admission to the UCLA MAE program and the UT Austin: MA in Economics. I would really like some help and advice regarding if it is beneficial to do the one year MAE or a two year MA in Economics. I'm still deciding whether to do a Ph.D or work directly after the masters. Suggestions and advice are very much appreciated! :D 

Thank you

Hey.

Just out of curiosity, did you apply to any other programs?

I would say UCLA  has more brand recognition outside of the U.S. if that matters to you. As far as I could tell, their placement is pretty good too. LA is probably also a better place in terms of recruiting, though it seems to me their primary focus isn't PhD prep.

On 3/19/2020 at 5:03 AM, tom_belgium said:

Hey.

Just out of curiosity, did you apply to any other programs?

I would say UCLA  has more brand recognition outside of the U.S. if that matters to you. As far as I could tell, their placement is pretty good too. LA is probably also a better place in terms of recruiting, though it seems to me their primary focus isn't PhD prep.

Hey! Thank you for your reply! I've applied to Columbia's MS Applied Analytics, Duke's MIDS, and GaTech MS Econ. Haven't heard from the these three yet! 

I'm coming from a Computer Science Undergraduate background, wanting to enter into Econ+Analytics field. 

I've heard 1 year programs are extremely hectic, just wondering, will there be enough time to work with professors?

The two options would lead to extremely different outcomes. If you enter into UCLA's Applied Econ program, most likely you will never be admitted into any decent econ phd program (let's say top 30) as the preparation is just inadequate. You might be able to get into business phd programs though, if that's what you could accept. In terms of job prospects, of course the UCLA brand is good enough to send you into decent industry jobs.

On the contrary, MA at UT Austin provides rigorous training and the phd placement outcome, as far as I know, is great. However, industrywise it doesn't provide as much value added as UCLA's MAE, at least in regions outside Texas. Hence choose the program based on your career aspirations.

On 3/21/2020 at 9:48 PM, WhiteWalker said:

The two options would lead to extremely different outcomes. If you enter into UCLA's Applied Econ program, most likely you will never be admitted into any decent econ phd program (let's say top 30) as the preparation is just inadequate. You might be able to get into business phd programs though, if that's what you could accept. In terms of job prospects, of course the UCLA brand is good enough to send you into decent industry jobs.

On the contrary, MA at UT Austin provides rigorous training and the phd placement outcome, as far as I know, is great. However, industrywise it doesn't provide as much value added as UCLA's MAE, at least in regions outside Texas. Hence choose the program based on your career aspirations.

Thank you soo much for your reply! This really does answer my question! I have got a lot to think about now. 

Thank you! :D

• 5 weeks later...

Hey,

I have my interview with UCLA this Sunday for the MAE program.

I was wondering if there were any questions you were asked in your interview that surprised you, or that you hadn’t been asked in other interviews.

• 3 months later...