Okay, It's April 15th already and I have nothing

Manson

I have to hear back from 5 places!

2 PhD applications and 3 MS applications. I did get a reject yesterday but now I can't tolerate waiting any longer.

Any suggestions/comments on what should be done?

I wouldn't panic so much about the April 15th deadline since you haven't heard from anything besides that one rejection. They do send acceptances and rejections after April 15th, but I would probably just check in with the department about the status of your application.

After the 15th, when all the offers they have out expire, if schools still have spots to fill, they will be desperate to do so from the people still waiting.

If you haven't heard a reject, that means you are still in the running for those spots.

After the 15th, when all the offers they have out expire, if schools still have spots to fill, they will be desperate to do so from the people still waiting.

If you haven't heard a reject, that means you are still in the running for those spots.

I was just wondering if there is something I can do to increase my chances for getting in from the wait list. For example, should I let the program know that I'm still waiting to hear from them and that they are my first choice? Otherwise, wouldn't they assume I accepted another offer? When they go down their wait list after April 15th, do they actually expect people to renege on an offer they accepted by April 15th? I actually don't have any offers, so it wouldn't be an issue for me, but do they know that?

I remember with college apps, when people were wait listed, our school counselor advised them to write to the admissions office stating how much they really really wanted to attend the school, how it was their no. 1 choice, and emphasize again how brilliant they were. I know it must be somewhat different for grad schools, but I can't shake the feeling that I should do something about being on the wait list instead of just waiting passively. Otherwise, how do they know that I'm still waiting to hear from them?

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks.

April 15...for postal decisions, they can be postmarked April 15, and not received. Kind of lame, but I've had it happen. Have you logged into your online application to check status? Checked your spam email folder to make sure that nothing went there by mistake?

Thinking positively, sure, write to your POI and express your continued interest in their program. Maybe write to the grad advisor too, in case they know what your status is.

It is possible to receive an offer after April 15. It's only an issue if one already accepted elsewhere and would need to be released from the school.

April 15 is also when depts can act, if there are outstanding offers that haven't been responded to, then they can turn around and give them to the next people.

I was just wondering if there is something I can do to increase my chances for getting in from the wait list. For example, should I let the program know that I'm still waiting to hear from them and that they are my first choice? Otherwise, wouldn't they assume I accepted another offer? When they go down their wait list after April 15th, do they actually expect people to renege on an offer they accepted by April 15th? I actually don't have any offers, so it wouldn't be an issue for me, but do they know that?

I remember with college apps, when people were wait listed, our school counselor advised them to write to the admissions office stating how much they really really wanted to attend the school, how it was their no. 1 choice, and emphasize again how brilliant they were. I know it must be somewhat different for grad schools, but I can't shake the feeling that I should do something about being on the wait list instead of just waiting passively. Otherwise, how do they know that I'm still waiting to hear from them?

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks.

Although my offer came on April 15th, I was in a similar situation. Wait listed at 2 schools, all others rejected. I got a cryptic email from a prof one of the schools I was waitlisted at asking me my "status for the fall" and whether I had to meet any April 15th deadlines. In my head I was like, my status is purgatory since neither school has offered anything... But what I did was email the Director of Graduate Studies at the other school and she explained to me, quite frankly, that they had two spots to fill and 4 waitlist candidates ahead of me so it was unlikely that I would get into that particular program. There goes my leverage. So I had to make a decision, should I tell my last hope that I had no other offers or try to be more discreet about my options? In the end, I went with honesty - I told the prof that originally emailed me I had no other offers and I was essentially waiting on their decision....my email was met with silence...no reply, nothing (this was Monday the 12th). On the 14th at 5pm I received a call telling from the dept. offering me admission. I received an email from DGS today and accepted a little while ago.

In short, then, I guess my advice would be to ask what your status is at these schools. In your email/call, reiterate that school 'x' is your top choice and should they offer admission, you'd accept. After talking with the DGS this afternoon, I found out that they were still trying to move people off the wait-list today, so there is always a possibility that you have a shot at getting in. Good luck to you.

**edited for clarity

Edited by amercanist

In short, then, I guess my advice would be to ask what your status is at these schools. In your email/call, reiterate that school 'x' is your top choice and should they offer admission, you'd accept. After talking with the DGS this afternoon, I found out that they were still trying to move people off the wait-list today, so there is always a possibility that you have a shot at getting in. Good luck to you.

**edited for clarity

americanist,

thank you so much for sharing your experience and advice. i did as you advised and got an answer immediately--unfortunately not a good one. but at least now i know. better than waiting till may or june and getting denied. so now i'm moving on to making new plans.

anyway, thanks again. and congrats on getting your offer!!!

I have applied a several MA programs and so far have heard nothing. On he advise of a professor I know, I've sent emails out inquiring about my status, but needless to say the anticipation is killing me.

I've been on a waitlist since February and haven't heard a thing. According to the letter, they said they sould know by April 15th whether or not they have a spot for me. Needless to say, April 15th has come and gone. I emailed about a month ago asking for an update on my status and got no reply. My "Apply Yourself" status still says sent to program. Should I assume rejection? Try contacting the program again? It must be rare to get an admit off a waitlist after the 15th, though I suppose a waitlist could be considered active until the first day of classes. At this point, I almost feel like I need a year off! This spring has been incredibly stressful. I've got a part time job that I could make do with until applying next year. I just wish I knew the probability of getting at least 1 adjunct position.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. My name is Phillip Butehorn and I’m a senior at SUNY Plattsburgh. In the middle of January, I applied to the Master’s history program at Brooklyn College. On January 28th, the Graduate Admissions received all my documents. I was told I would receive an answer within three to six weeks. Between weeks four and six, I called admissions to see if I was accepted. Several times, I was told that my application was either in the History Department or still in the admissions office. On March 19th, I was informed that it was still not in the department. I explained to the worker that I was already told that it was in the department. The lady apologized for the miscommunication and informed me that the application would be brought over to the history department.

That following week, I received news that it was indeed at the department. Since January 28th, it has been three months. I finally emailed the professor who is looking at my application. I emailed her monday night. she replied on tuesay and said I would be notified shortly. It's friday night now....I have not been notified.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use