What Holds More Weight?

Philmajor

As a current MA student I applied to only one place - the school I currently attend. What do you think is most important - do you think it's the paper written in class that has been graded and has comments (which is required as the writing sample) or the Statement of Intent?

BTW - the university urges the MA students to apply to the PhD program since it's the primary source of PhD candidates.

Thanks everyone!

I wonder too if the statement is so important and perhaps it doesn't hit perfectly that ones advisor during the MA would speak up since he knows just what it is I'm interested in. He will also be my PhD advisor.

I wish they'd make a decision and communicate it to everyone - this waiting is going to cause stress related illness. If I'm not accepted I need to find a job that doesn't require cooking burgers for the next year. The idea of trying to find a job is almost as terrifying as the application process.

:D

I think it depends on the program and how the SOP flies by your readers. It's really so close as I've learned. But in terms of making or breaking the decision, I'd probably say the SOP.