Johns Hopkins Cellular/Molecular Medicine umbrella PhD Vs. WashU Neuroscience PhD

jacksonmace

I am studying biomedical sciences (neurodegenerative diseases), and cannot choose between WashU's Neuroscience program vs Johns Hopkins Cellular and Molecular Medicine umbrella program (I would work in the neuro department). Both of these are Ph.D. programs. WashU is only neuro, whereas the Hopkins program is an umbrella, with neurobiology as one of the sub-category specializations.

I have a long pros/cons sheet for both of these programs/schools, but I would love to add some more to the list (possibly from outer sources). If you have any anecdotes, impressions, opinions, or facts about either school/grad program - I would love to hear them. This would allow me to further my pros/cons lists of the programs while stepping outside my own mind for a minute to see what others think.

I am not easily swayed, so please do not worry about presenting a bias that may "deter me from what I want." I have been going back between the programs for 2 months now, so I am now interested in what others have to say about the graduate programs/schools. To me, there is a strong balance between both programs (one has a lab I like more while the other has an overall program structure I like more). Thus, hearing outside opinions may allow me to think 'outside the box' more.

Thank you!

Starting with anecdotes:

A friend who was an undergrad at UW told me everyone she knew in their neurobiology PhD program was unhappy. 

I know people in the Hopkins program who say it's very old fashioned in its structure and intense, feels like they're weeding people out, but they're not necessarily unhappy. Probably dependent on personality type.

When it comes down to it, join a program with at least a couple people you're very excited about working with. The lab you join matters so much more than almost anything else. Make sure those faculty are actually taking students, and maybe even contact them/their students to discuss the decision.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2020 at 6:00 AM, BabyScientist said:

A friend who was an undergrad at UW told me everyone she knew in their neurobiology PhD program was unhappy. 

The University of Washington is very different from Washington University. UW is in Seattle. WashU is in St. Louis.

Both WashU and Johns Hopkins offer top notch educations.  I don't think you could go wrong with either.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:03 PM, Regimentations said:

The University of Washington is very different from Washington University. UW is in Seattle. WashU is in St. Louis.

Both WashU and Johns Hopkins offer top notch educations.  I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Oh whoops, misread the post

• 6 months later...

Which did you end up choosing? I ended up choosing WashU because I felt there was more of a collaborative vibe where people were more interested in making sure you succeeded despite the rigourness of the program. I also don't think WashU's name has peaked despite being well known among academics; whereas I think JH has peaked. The funding offered was also a nice bonus. I also felt that there were more opportunities available at WashU depending on what you wanted your focus to be.