MA Program Decision - FSU, Tulane, UKan, BC

Cato_Uticensis

Hi!

So I have finally heard back from all the programs I have applied to and I was wondering if those with experience with said programs could weigh in. The most generous offers came from University of Kansas, Florida State University, Boston College, and Tulane.

The basic offers are as follows:

Tulane: Tuition waiver, waitlisted for stipend and TAship

UKan: Tuition waiver, TAship all semesters with stipend

Boston College: Tuition waiver, TAship for one semester with stipend

FSU: Tuition waiver, TAship for all semesters with stipend

Massachusetts native here who spent a year in New Orleans, so I am particularly attracted to New Orleans (second on that waitlist for stipend) and the cheaper cost of living available in Tally, NoLA, and UKan. I am, by trade, a bartender and a TAship is not necessarily make or break for me if I can land a part-time job working a few nights. The faculty at FSU and Tulane have the most in line with my interests. Any thoughts about the strengths of these departments and how vital an experience of TAship is if one has plans continuing to a PhD in classics?

Your wisdom is dearly appreciated.

Hi so I don't have any direct relationship to any of these schools, however, I will say 2 things about grad school in general. 1) you should not go into debt for a classics degree. It is really not worth it and paying back loans will be so much harder for us in the long run. I know you said that you bartend and if that's enough to fulfill your needs while taking on some very difficult courses, then more power to you! 2) I don't know if you're considering a PhD, but any teaching experience you can get while doing your Master's is great for PhD apps. 

It's really difficult to give any useful response in terms of program strength to this because it really is entirely dependent on your personal research interests. That said, a full stipend with a TAship is a really generous and pretty uncommon offer for MA programs so it might be worth considering. One of the brighter PhD. students at my school (Penn) got his MA from UKan and says its great, for what that is worth. Regarding the other MA programs I simply don't have the experience to comment.