US travel restrictions & student visa applications

Hi, I am having a really difficult time finding an answer to this anywhere online so maybe someone has a similar experience they can share... I was accepted to grad school in the states (NCSU) and already have my I-20/DS-2019, already paid my SEVIS fee... now its just a matter of getting my F1 visa approved at a port of entry (for me it would be Pearson airport in Toronto)... have any incoming international students attempted to enter the united states & get their f1 yet? hearing/reading so many conflicting rumors & I haven't been able to get a hold of the US CBP to ask... 

I already live and work in the United States under a TN visa, which I would forfeit when I quit my job to exit & re-enter the United states to get my student visa approved. With the ongoing travel restrictions/rumors of visa services being temporarily suspended, I am holding off on quitting (and forfeiting my visa) until I know for sure that if I leave the country, I will be allowed back in. 

You would have to file an I539 to change it without leaving, I think. You can look up the processing times: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ They are long, so it's probably not worth it now.

I can't find any evidence that F1 processing at the border has been suspended, but the wisest course of action is to wait for now, I imagine. Border agents generally have broad authority on making decisions.

Is there any particular rush to get the F1?

59 minutes ago, cropop said:

You would have to file an I539 to change it without leaving, I think. You can look up the processing times: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ They are long, so it's probably not worth it now.

I can't find any evidence that F1 processing at the border has been suspended, but the wisest course of action is to wait for now, I imagine. Border agents generally have broad authority on making decisions.

Is there any particular rush to get the F1?

Found some further confusing info online that as a Canadian citizen, I don’t actually need an F1 visa interview anyway. Just need to present my I20/other documents at the airport... now just to confirm if that’s true or not lol.

To answer your q, my program starts earlier than most (in June) so ideally I can get this sorted out during the month of April and begin the process of moving in May.