How to get funded PhD abroad (specifically UK)

Arthistoryiscool

As I contemplate master programs and my future I will likely do my MA here in the states and go abroad for phD as it is shorter and there are faculty that teach there whose interests align well with my own. However, I noticed that phD programs there are typically about 22k pounds per year and that students are usually only given 5-10k in funding. I also imagine that many native students are getting grants from the UK, but that would of course not apply to me. Anyone know of good resources/ways to get funding and stipend for a phD abroad that is actually attainable? Obviously couldn't go 200k in debt just to get a phd...Thank you!!!

The Marshall Scholarship and Fulbright are your best options. Otherwise not much funding for American students in Art History in the UK. They know its still cheaperĀ  for us than attending a lot of US schools... So they rarely giving out funding. Cambridge full tuition is still cheaper usually than Columbia for example. They know this and get money from students from abroad.