Grad School Worries

Arzt. Merkwuerdigeliebe

Question

What should I do?

Option 1: I have been accepted to UChicago's MAPPS program with 1/2 tuition payed for this fall (the program is 3 quarters). I would concentrate in history/economics. Total cost: ~$40,000. From here I would apply (during the 2021 cycle) for a Ph.D in economics (emphasis on history of economics). I would retake the GRE (I got in the 90th percentile for reading, but only above average for math and writing) and apply to about 10 schools? 

OR

Option 2: I am still (STILL) waiting on three graduate schools to get back to me. I applied to these schools for a history of science Ph.D. One school I've been accepted but am waiting on a funding package (which means some other kids have to decline their offers), the two others have been radio silence since January. If good news came back from either of these, I would accept.

I am at a crossroads. I'm fresh from undergrad, bright-eyed, and refining what I want to do with my life. For about a year now I have realized how much I love economics and I am scared that I will be making a big mistake if I accept going into history of science. Econ seems to also have way more job prospects outside of academia. However, the econ route would cost money and I wouldn't be guaranteed a spot at a grad program (ph.d) in the end.

Advice welcomed!

1 answer to this question

Have you gotten in touch with the schools from #2? Turbulent times right now, but there's no reason for them not to be communicative. 3 months of silence is definitely cause to reach out and inquire, especially since most deposit deadlines are fast approaching.

To me it sounds like the Masters is kind of filler between undergrad and PhD for you. If you get the chance to enroll in a financially-viable PhD program, I'd choose that.