All international students

lajjagupta

Hi all,

I am an international student for fall session, 2020. I have already submitted my fees and I am not able to start visa processing as everything is locked down. What do you think:

1. When will world be able to open its boundaries to travel?

2. If a university ask to join online session, would you like to join them online?

3. For the online course, do you ready to pay the same fees?  

4. What other options do an international student has?

Regards,

Lajja

1. Nobody knows. You could guess it might be in a few months, but it would just be a guess. The US hasn't really hit the peak of infections yet and it might be another month or more until it does. Then, things need to recover after, which might be a while. The economy already has taken a massive hit and it will get worse. School budgets are also going to be greatly affected because of loss of revenue from this semester, perhaps the summer semester, and beyond.

2. If the school offers online only (and you can get a student visa), your option is to either take it or not go, so I expect most people will take it.

3. Online courses sometimes have an additional online fee, but I would guess schools will waive it if you are attending a program that isn't normally online.

4. Attend schools in your country or try to defer your acceptance for a semester/year and find other arrangements (a job, etc.) for now.

I imagine schools will come up with their plans in a month or 2 once they see what happens. But, there's nothing they can do about student visas unless the government reopens processing and/or comes up with exceptions.

Edited by cropop

1. None knows! We can only hope everything will be at least start to get back to normal in the next 45-60 days. Worst case scenario, we will be in a situation to think about survive only. Hope we won't be there.

2. I am not sure about it. I am to join a PhD program. I can do the courses online but it won't help me much from my home. I am not acquainted with the US education system, there is a high chance I mess up everything. There is less chance I get help from others in distance learning. And most importantly, I won't be able to attend my lab rotations which are more important because that will help me to select my PhD supervisor! 

3. Actually I have got a fellowship, so I won't have to pay the fees. But I am not sure what will happen to the stipend, tuition waiver etc. after the pandemic due to the economic rescission. I am pretty worried about it. 

4. I talked to the grad coordinator of my department. He said the situation is still developing and nothing can be said. But they will try their best to meet the student's interest. May be they will offer a semester defer.

For now, we can just wait and pray for the world.