UCLA 2020

passere

Is anyone else heading to UCLA this fall?

I have to say, I'm worried about how finances will work on my stipend, but I'm excited for the warm weather!

Worry about finances is what's stopped me from accepting my offer yet. It's such a big step to take, even though I'm super excited about the research there.

I am almost certainly attending UCLA. I was on the west coast for undergrad, but did my MA at UChicago, so I'll actually miss the horrible weather [no lie]!

Congratulations on the admit! Have you requested a revised offer letter to help make finances more doable? That's fairly normal, and it never hurts to ask politely.

15 hours ago, Artifex_Archer said:

I am almost certainly attending UCLA. I was on the west coast for undergrad, but did my MA at UChicago, so I'll actually miss the horrible weather [no lie]!

Congratulations on the admit! Have you requested a revised offer letter to help make finances more doable? That's fairly normal, and it never hurts to ask politely.

I asked for more years of guaranteed summer funding, which apparently others have gotten in the past, and they said they couldn't do it. The only thing they've offered is a 6th year of TA funding. Except I've been told by current students that they always have a shortage of TAs, so they're offering me nothing but making it look like something. It's very frustrating.

I've lived in Chicago all my life, and I can't wait to get away from the cold. I love the snow, but I'm so done with cold, miserable weather. Then again, earlier in my life I thought I'd never want to move somewhere without snow, so I get where you're coming from!

Congratulations to you as well!

Edited by passere

Hello everyone! I think I will be going to UCLA for PhD as well...But, yes, I was also a bit worried about the stipends, especially for the first two years, as they are able to give more money for year 3, 4 and 5, but not in year 1 and 2. I'd say that my concern is over the on-campus housing (Weber Terrace), which is very expensive for an university-owned housing compared with other institutions in similarly costly areas, and for my first year, it would be difficult to find housing elsewhere before arriving since I am an international student...

Well, I've done it. I've committed to UCLA. It's a weird feeling...

On 4/6/2020 at 9:50 AM, Jickey said:

Hello everyone! I think I will be going to UCLA for PhD as well...But, yes, I was also a bit worried about the stipends, especially for the first two years, as they are able to give more money for year 3, 4 and 5, but not in year 1 and 2. I'd say that my concern is over the on-campus housing (Weber Terrace), which is very expensive for an university-owned housing compared with other institutions in similarly costly areas, and for my first year, it would be difficult to find housing elsewhere before arriving since I am an international student...

Maybe try asking current grad students for advice? The grad students in my department that I've talked to have been super friendly and helpful.

Hello all! I'm heading to UCLA this fall as well. Working on my MFA in Directing. As with y'all, I'm very worried about finances. Luckily I'm bringing my spouse with me so once they are able to find employment it shouldn't be as big of a concern as it is now. We're working hard to cut financial corners as much as possible, trying to find families with basement apartments we can rent for less than married on campus housing. I feel like this worry should subside the second and third years as we qualify for California residency. 

Not from Chicago, btw ;) Just Colorado. Living in Tennessee currently for a job in software. 

13 hours ago, GoodToGodot said:

Hello all! I'm heading to UCLA this fall as well. Working on my MFA in Directing. As with y'all, I'm very worried about finances. Luckily I'm bringing my spouse with me so once they are able to find employment it shouldn't be as big of a concern as it is now. We're working hard to cut financial corners as much as possible, trying to find families with basement apartments we can rent for less than married on campus housing. I feel like this worry should subside the second and third years as we qualify for California residency. 

Not from Chicago, btw ;) Just Colorado. Living in Tennessee currently for a job in software. 

Congratulations! Welcome to the club :D

My partner is coming with as well. I'm hoping the economic situation won't make finding a job there impossible.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:18 AM, passere said:

Congratulations! Welcome to the club :D

My partner is coming with as well. I'm hoping the economic situation won't make finding a job there impossible.

My spouse has been applying and interviewing remotely while we wait out to covid 19 shutdowns. I'd say now is actually oddly enough a pretty decent time to start looking for work in LA. If places are hiring, they will be holding remote interviews and they can save the trip out. Plus side, depending on the job, they may be able to work remote until you two move to LA. We're hoping for such a situation now so I might be able to keep working in my current position as long as possible. 

55 minutes ago, GoodToGodot said:

My spouse has been applying and interviewing remotely while we wait out to covid 19 shutdowns. I'd say now is actually oddly enough a pretty decent time to start looking for work in LA. If places are hiring, they will be holding remote interviews and they can save the trip out. Plus side, depending on the job, they may be able to work remote until you two move to LA. We're hoping for such a situation now so I might be able to keep working in my current position as long as possible. 

Oh, that's a really good point. Thanks for the tip! My partner starting remote would be a dream.

Edited by passere

On 4/6/2020 at 10:50 AM, Jickey said:

There's a UCLA Grad Student Housing Facebook group that you may find helpful. People have recently been posting a lot of offers for sublets and longer-term leases as well. Pricing seems decent, considering the area.