April 15 Deadline with COVID?

blitner

Hi all, has anyone had luck with asking for a deferred deadline to decide with COVID? I'm waiting on information from my partner to make a decision and their deadlines have been pushed which makes it near impossible for me to have info by April 15....

How are you all deciding with COVID? I wasn't able to visit one of my top choices. 

I asked for, and got, extensions from all of my schools when I applied back in 2014 when my wife was also applying. I was open with them and I think most of them gave me two weeks or less - I don't think anyone gave me more than two. C19 is obviously far more serious so I think most schools would understand a need for more time, just don't be surprised if they say no or only give a week or two. They're under no obligation to give you any but they're generally not assholes. The only time I've seen them clamp down on decisions if someone was offered a named scholarship and the student wavered on accepting.

The advice that I've given some of my undergrad students looking at M* programs in Divinity and Religion - go where the money is, then consider name, and location. So from that perspective, back when I applied, I eliminated some schools from even giving them a visit.