Chapel Hill, NC

Kumari

Hello @Zooks, I highly recommend living on campus. There are buses every morning that leave Baity Hill and drop you right in the center of the campus. Your rent comes with all bills and amenenities included - wifi, TV, water, heat, etc. You can also rent your furniture from there but I'd recommend buying - there are super cheap places to go to do that. Finally, the apartments are fairly new - I believe they were built in 2005. Good luck!

Hi @ParentandGradStudent !! Thank you so much for weighing in :) I've sent in the application for campus housing. I read somewhere on this thread that the spots fill up pretty early (mostly on the day registration opens), although that was for the family housing units. Would you by any chance have an idea about the availability/competitiveness of the shared apartments?

20 minutes ago, ParentandGradStudent said:

Hey @Zooks ! I have no idea about the competitiveness for the shared apartments, but I imagine it's not much. I remember I applied early April for the family housing, and within two weeks I had a unit assigned. I would tend to think that there are way more options for the shared units. Go Heels!

Oh that's great to hear! Thank you :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 11:39 AM, singinglupines said:

I'll also be heading to UNC Chapel Hill this fall. I started looking at housing already as for my undergrad college town everything would be gone by April. I'd really like to avoid apartment complexes if possible. Any tips on where to look for one bedroom apartments with central AC (preferably no carpet) under $850? What are some local realty sites? I prefer my peace and quiet and definitely want to stay away from the loud, party areas.

I'd recommend looking in Carrboro. It's where a lot of graduate students live, and there are also lots of young families who live there. A lot of it is walkable to downtown, there are free buses to campus, but it's not where you're going to find the big parties. 

I recommend looking at chapelhillrent.com. I've found several of my apartments through that site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm considering moving to Chapel Hill and was wondering how leases work... they seem to be on really short terms or odd increments of over a year. Is that typical of the area?

Also do you all have any recommendations for apartment buildings with affordable (max 900) studios or 1 bedrooms that are quiet with soundproof rooms. The place I live in now the walls are so thin I can hear my neighbor's cell phone alarm in the morning and I'd prefer to avoid a repeat of this situation.

On a bus line would be nice since I'm not going to have a car, but as long as it's biking distance from UNC I should be fine.

3 hours ago, EigenVictor said:

I'm considering moving to Chapel Hill and was wondering how leases work... they seem to be on really short terms or odd increments of over a year. Is that typical of the area?

Also do you all have any recommendations for apartment buildings with affordable (max 900) studios or 1 bedrooms that are quiet with soundproof rooms. The place I live in now the walls are so thin I can hear my neighbor's cell phone alarm in the morning and I'd prefer to avoid a repeat of this situation.

On a bus line would be nice since I'm not going to have a car, but as long as it's biking distance from UNC I should be fine.

I've lived in Chapel Hill for about seven years. It's an amazing place to live! I've rented the entire time I've lived here, and in my experience, if you can find a house/condo/townhouse from a private landlord, it'll be a much happier experience for you than renting from any of the apartment complexes in town. Avoid Glen Lennox like the plague (it's in your price range, but trust me, it is not worth it). I suggest going on Zillow (or even Craigslist) and looking for someone who is renting out a property or a room somewhere. In my experience, because the demand for housing in the Triangle is so high, many of the apartment complexes in the area are overpriced, predatory, and horrible to their residents. Private landlords should also be more flexible about the length of a lease- all of mine have been fine with 12 months. A lot of apartment complexes will try to get you to do something longer. 

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions! 

On 2/27/2019 at 11:31 PM, greenturtle said:

I've lived in Chapel Hill for about seven years. It's an amazing place to live! I've rented the entire time I've lived here, and in my experience, if you can find a house/condo/townhouse from a private landlord, it'll be a much happier experience for you than renting from any of the apartment complexes in town. Avoid Glen Lennox like the plague (it's in your price range, but trust me, it is not worth it). I suggest going on Zillow (or even Craigslist) and looking for someone who is renting out a property or a room somewhere. In my experience, because the demand for housing in the Triangle is so high, many of the apartment complexes in the area are overpriced, predatory, and horrible to their residents. Private landlords should also be more flexible about the length of a lease- all of mine have been fine with 12 months. A lot of apartment complexes will try to get you to do something longer. 

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions! 

I went to UNC for undergrad and rented in the area for a total of about 5 years. I've since purchased a home in Durham and will return to UNC for a PhD this fall. I'll commute from Durham, which from my home (South Durham, Southpoint Mall area) is about 20 minutes. I don't know if this is helpful, however, if you end up completely frustrated by renting in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area, Durham is far more affordable as far as real estate goes. I love living in Durham, but biking or busing would admittedly be a challenge.

I agree with the poster above that apartment complexes in Chapel Hill are overpriced. Look at Carrboro, too, for sure--great place to live with bike/bus access to campus. For the record I lived for three years at Crosstown Chapel Hill (which went by a different name when I lived there). They introduced a dog breed ban which went into place as I was buying my home, so I was lucky, but it forced lots of other dog people out. They then renovated the units and raised the prices. The walls were paper thin and it wasn't worth it before when I was paying $870 a month--now prices are much higher there.

I know the area well, ask any questions, I absolutely love the Triangle!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I am going to attend UNC this fall. If anyone fancies sharing an apartment or discussing apartment choices in Chapel Hill in general, feel free to PM me! I will be an Economics PhD student.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone! I am attending UNC in the fall for a Master's in Media and Communications. I'm looking for apartment search recommendations, since I'm an international student —not really familiar with the housing market in the US. 

- What do you know about the graduate student housing (Baity Hill/Mason Farm)? Anyone would recommend that? I've seen some old posts on this topic but they aren't too insightful. 

- Any apartment complexes that rent by room or which offer a 1B/1BR or studio for around 800$?

- Any advice on where to look for apartments/roomates? Facebook groups, websites, anything is helpful! 

Also, when do people usually start looking for places? Is it too early now? Should I wait until the summer? 

Hi guys, I'll be starting a PhD at UNC this fall. However the pandemic is kind of screwing with my plans and I don't know for certain whether I'll be able to attend before mid-July and may have to defer. How hard would it be to find housing that late? I'd prefer to live without roommates in a 1 bedroom or studio.