Impact of coronavirus on funding

sad pepe

So I'll be starting my PhD studies in political science this fall, most likely at a large public university in a Midwestern state that has a handful of public universities.

In view of the coronavirus situation, I'm really concerned about the potential impact of the virus on the economy, which I worry will in turn lead to state governments cutting funding for higher education, which will then lead to a pay cut for PhD students in the coming years... This is especially worrisome considering that the amount of stipend that I was offered is already less than I'd like (can probably barely survive).

Am I right to worry about this?

I would think that you are... honestly, reading your answer is making me start to worry too! Even though I am moving out to the middle of the U.S. for my PhD, I do think many public universities will have their funding cut. 

However, there are more options for graduate school funding than for undergraduate funding (fortunately). You can apply for fellowships (both internal and external), do another project for the government, science foundations, or your university, do internships during semesters you aren't taking classes (also more flexible than undergraduate), and appeal for an extra assignment for potential increases in funding (aka maybe doing more grading if that's allowable by your school). 

I do know that it will probably be even more difficult for the majority of PhD students in the next few years. However, I do think that most PhD students (who are generally determined people anyway), will be able to figure something out. So worry a little bit to get you motivated to work harder in finding alternative funding sources, but don't overly worry and lose sleep over it. 

@Phoenix88 May I ask what your major is? I'm guessing science/engineering, based on seeing your application to Embry Riddle. I'm doing political science, and from what I know, it seems like grad students in social sciences always get less funding than those in med schools and science/engineering departments. But you're absolutely right about the variety of opportunities that we could seek!

EDIT: My bad, didn't see that you're majoring in Aerospace Engineering.

Edited by jonliu