Penn IEDP vs TC IED (masters)

Tea_Drinker

Hello!! I need to hear some advice from people who are knowledgeable on these two programs. My major concern is career development, but all insights are welcome!

Placement rate--I didn't get a straight answer from either schools in their admitted student webinars. Penn might provide better support on the individual level since the cohort is much smaller (~30, TC is 80-90) and internship is basically guaranteed by the program (at TC, you are basically on your own).  But TC's program has a much longer history (thus more extensive alumni network) and a more comprehensive curriculum (thus more diverse alumni network), so maybe you are better connected at TC? 

So basically Penn is better because it's small, and TC is better because it's big. Quite a conundrum...

*Finance is not a factor here since I will be paying probably the same amount after doing some extensive calculation and estimation (scholarships, living expenses, GA, moving fee...all have been considered). 

I wish I had advice, but actually I'm struggling with the same question! I love Penn's program overall, and it really felt like the best "fit" (it's also the only one I was able to visit, so that may have something to do with it.) TC would be great because I could focus more directly on education in crisis/conflict areas. I think I'm just really freaked out about graduating with some not insignificant loans during a recession. That also puts American University (ITEP) into the mix for me. I would still have to take out loans for American, but much less than I would have to take out for Penn and TC. Have you been able to get any more information about career development for Penn or TC? 

5 hours ago, ads1 said:

I wish I had advice, but actually I'm struggling with the same question! I love Penn's program overall, and it really felt like the best "fit" (it's also the only one I was able to visit, so that may have something to do with it.) TC would be great because I could focus more directly on education in crisis/conflict areas. I think I'm just really freaked out about graduating with some not insignificant loans during a recession. That also puts American University (ITEP) into the mix for me. I would still have to take out loans for American, but much less than I would have to take out for Penn and TC. Have you been able to get any more information about career development for Penn or TC? 

Unfortunately, I don't have much information on this. After talking with some current students, Penn sounds more practitioner driven and career-oriented. At TC, you might have to advocate for yourself a bit more.

Not sure if this is important to you but it sounds like two schools have very different vibes: most, if not all, of the students at Penn are full-time, and courses are more structured; at TC, more students work part-time (either outside of TC or have GA), so courses are more flexible, and many classes are offered in the evenings/at nights. At least that's what it seems like.

I feel for you---both are expensive programs and the additional stress of a recession is not definitely not ideal! I wish I knew more about the career support each school offers, but there is only so much career services can do. It would be nice to have some sort of guarantee, especially in uncertain times like now, but at the end of the day, it depends on ourselves to secure a job. 

Was it helpful at all? I am going to Penn in case you are curious. DM me if you want to chat more! Best of luck (and maybe see you at Penn)!!

Thanks for the response! It's really difficult to make a big decision like this during such an uncertain time, so I appreciate hearing from someone else weighing the same options. And actually, it looks like we reached the same conclusion - I'll be attending Penn as well! Looking forward to seeing you there!

15 hours ago, ads1 said:

Thanks for the response! It's really difficult to make a big decision like this during such an uncertain time, so I appreciate hearing from someone else weighing the same options. And actually, it looks like we reached the same conclusion - I'll be attending Penn as well! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Yay!! That's awesome! I am excited to see you in person!