Will a lack of a major independent research project disqualify me?

MtrlHstryGrl

Hello, hello. 

I had applied for a summer research fellowship through my Master's institution to do a major independent research project using archives, art, and sites in Italy. I was denied funding based on the fact that my university has decided to suspend all research projects abroad. I knew I would get rejected because of it, but it has made me incredibly upset and anxious, as I will probably not have a large, independent research project when I apply to a PhD program. My school does not do Master's theses -- I am submitting a writing sample that was a seminar paper (and has been selected for publication). Will I be completely disqualifying myself by not having a big research project at the Master's level? I am fairly confident about literally every other part of my application (two article publications, have been a graduate research assistant, will be a graduate teaching assistant, multiple languages, strong LOR, fit, etc.), but I am irrationally afraid of not having that project.