CMU MCDS vs Columbia MSCS

sane39201

Hi all!

I'm seeking some advice on school choices for fall 2020. I have narrowed down my options to these two programs, but I'm still confused to which school I must attend to.

I mainly want to look for jobs in SWE but so far in undergrad I focused more on data science so I may continue on to develop a career as a data engineer.

What are your thoughts?

I am in the exact same dilemma. But with CMU MCDS vs UCSD MS CS. 

"I mainly want to look for jobs in SWE but so far in undergrad I focused more on data science so I may continue on to develop a career as a data engineer." -- applies thoroughly to me too. I also have 2 yrs work exp as a data engineer. So I am looking at Data Science and SWE roles after graduation. 

I am confused. Do lmk what you finally decide!

12 hours ago, meesuni88 said:

I am in the exact same dilemma. But with CMU MCDS vs UCSD MS CS. 

"I mainly want to look for jobs in SWE but so far in undergrad I focused more on data science so I may continue on to develop a career as a data engineer." -- applies thoroughly to me too. I also have 2 yrs work exp as a data engineer. So I am looking at Data Science and SWE roles after graduation. 

I am confused. Do lmk what you finally decide!

Hi! I personally don't like the New York vibe & its high living costs so I'm leaning more towards CMU. New York may offer better job interview chances, but I think the name value of CMU could cover that. But when it comes to UCSD, you still get great weather & neighborhood so I think it should be up to whether you'd still grab onto Data Engineering or not. I'm into SWE for now, but in MCDS, I can get both SWE and Data Engineering jobs. Whereas in Columbia, I'd have to specialize in DS but I'm not sure if UCSD offers the same. 

I'm also in the exact same dilemma, but with CMU MCDS vs Brown MS CS (UCSD and Columbia are actually the only two school that haven't given me a decision yet). I share the same concerns as you both but I don't have any background in Data Science. I'm very much undecided but here are some of my thoughts.

I think a lot of employers aren't going to be familiar with specific programs and value your degree based on the school without factoring much into the program.

A lot of SWE roles like to slap the Big Data/Data Science buzz words into their job descriptions whether it is actually true or not. When I interviewed for my current role, which is a SWE, they had Big Data in the job description. Having worked there I can say it has very little to do with Big Data, but knowing the people in charge of hiring they would look favorably on people with Data Science experience.

A more traditional MS is probably more highly valued in academia, because most of the programs leave room for or even emphasis research, if you want to be in academia this is probably the better choice.

On the other hand the MCDS program has a 4 semester track where you take a lighter course load to leave room to do research.

As meesuni88 said in their post, I'm also very concerned that the specialized nature will force me down a specific path without leaving room for exploration.

Many traditional MS CS programs allow you to take a much broader set of courses and you may discover a passion in an area outside of data science that you didn't know you had.

On the other hand many MS CS programs make you select a focus early on and you end up taking the majority of your classes in one specific area anyways.

For employers, If you don't have a PhD then a professionally focused masters (like MCDS) may actually be looked on more favorably then a non professionally focused one like an MS in CS.

The employment destinations of MCDS graduates are very impressive: https://www.cmu.edu/career/documents/2017_one_pagers/scs/Combined_SCS_MS_2017_Final.pdf. Many companies encourage mobility and if you think Data Science roles aren't for you, they may pay to train you in a different area and allow you to switch roles. Essentially the MCDS program may be good for getting you a foot in the door in a top company.

I'm not sure if this one matters but I've heard from a couple people that attended different programs that CMU is very intensive and very difficult and that you should be ready to be stressed/anxious for the next 2 years.

Ultimately I think it's too hard to say no to the #1 ranked school.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:34 AM, prospectiveCS44 said:

I'm also in the exact same dilemma, but with CMU MCDS vs Brown MS CS (UCSD and Columbia are actually the only two school that haven't given me a decision yet). I share the same concerns as you both but I don't have any background in Data Science. I'm very much undecided but here are some of my thoughts.

I think a lot of employers aren't going to be familiar with specific programs and value your degree based on the school without factoring much into the program.

A lot of SWE roles like to slap the Big Data/Data Science buzz words into their job descriptions whether it is actually true or not. When I interviewed for my current role, which is a SWE, they had Big Data in the job description. Having worked there I can say it has very little to do with Big Data, but knowing the people in charge of hiring they would look favorably on people with Data Science experience.

A more traditional MS is probably more highly valued in academia, because most of the programs leave room for or even emphasis research, if you want to be in academia this is probably the better choice.

On the other hand the MCDS program has a 4 semester track where you take a lighter course load to leave room to do research.

As meesuni88 said in their post, I'm also very concerned that the specialized nature will force me down a specific path without leaving room for exploration.

Many traditional MS CS programs allow you to take a much broader set of courses and you may discover a passion in an area outside of data science that you didn't know you had.

On the other hand many MS CS programs make you select a focus early on and you end up taking the majority of your classes in one specific area anyways.

For employers, If you don't have a PhD then a professionally focused masters (like MCDS) may actually be looked on more favorably then a non professionally focused one like an MS in CS.

The employment destinations of MCDS graduates are very impressive: https://www.cmu.edu/career/documents/2017_one_pagers/scs/Combined_SCS_MS_2017_Final.pdf. Many companies encourage mobility and if you think Data Science roles aren't for you, they may pay to train you in a different area and allow you to switch roles. Essentially the MCDS program may be good for getting you a foot in the door in a top company.

I'm not sure if this one matters but I've heard from a couple people that attended different programs that CMU is very intensive and very difficult and that you should be ready to be stressed/anxious for the next 2 years.

Ultimately I think it's too hard to say no to the #1 ranked school.

Yes, exactly! Its very hard to say no to a number ranked school!

And from the research I've been doing in the past couple of days, a prestigious school does increase the "RESUME VALUE" by catching the eye of employers.

And as far as the specializations in concerned, MS CS programs make you select a focus early on. And you end up with a lot of classes in one specific area. MCDS gives you 3 electives. I think we can always use that to take courses that span a broader area. 

I will most probably be going with CMU. 

17 hours ago, prospectiveCS44 said:

Let me know if you commit, I'm also leaning heavily towards CMU but finding it difficult to pull the trigger.

Yep sure. I am actually waiting to hear from Berkeley (most prolly a reject. But hope is hope :P) Might know surely after 15th. Then its almost certainly CMU. I have spoken to some 4 seniors - its an extremely intensive program, but worth the slog :)