Advise to get into Linguistics PhD

Francophile1

Hi all,

I am seeking some advise regarding getting into a PhD program in Linguistics. I have an MA in Foreign Language and Lit and have been teaching for a number of years, however I have always been very interested in Linguistics and keep coming back to this option.

Currently I am trying to decide what would be the best, plausible option for me as far as getting into a reputable program.

I did some research on some highly regarded programs and saw that most students and Professors do have some kind of Linguistic background (before getting their PhD's). Some have a major, minor in it etc. I only had a minor in Undergrad (which was like 8 years ago).

What would be the best path for me to get accepted?

- MA Linguistics

- Summer courses (to strengthen my app)

- Apply straight to the Program

My concern is that a.) I really don't have any writing samples in Linguistics (I mean maybe I could dig up, a paper that I did in undergrad for one of my classes, but not sure if that would be enough.)

b.) I know I am interested in Syntax, based on the fact that I took several courses, as part of my minor but again I have not taken any courses recently and I do not have any papers that I wrote on this matter.

Ultimately, I want to find the best option financially and time wise.

I have already taken some time off from school and want to avoid wasting time.

I really cannot just take courses as a non matriculated student and pay out of pocket.

What would be your advise?

I appreciate all responses.

P.S I currently also enrolled in a TEFL course, as I am planning to teach English online as well.

Stay safe.

• 2 months later...

Hi there! We are in the same boat - my BA is Spanish, took a class on Phonetics/Diction back in 2014 and fell in love, and MA is Instruction, taught Spanish and left for that lingering love of Linguistics. I was told flat out that I am not a candidate for any PhD programs without training in Linguistics, and so I've accepted a spot in the program at CU Boulder this fall. I intend to start the groundwork to stay for a PhD ASAP and I'll be working as a substitute teacher on my days off/half days as my schedule allows. I know it's a hard thing to do and it's a lot of money but I'm trying to focus on the endgame where I have my doctorate and work in this field, even though it's scary and money is tight right now. Best wishes to you!