Online MSW at Laurier

Coolcat2019

On 4/14/2020 at 5:38 PM, Coolcat2019 said:

Hello all, I applied to the above and am waiting to hear back. has anyone who applied here heard anything yet? And can anyone who got in share their credentials/GPA/etc?

suspense is killing me! Lol

I applied to Laurier's part time MSW online program and haven't heard yet... 

9 hours ago, MelissaT said:

I applied to Laurier's part time MSW online program and haven't heard yet... 

The part time online program is wildly competitive. I applied to May 2020 Intake and was waitlisted (didn't get off). The email stated that they accepted 25 applicants out of approximately 250. Did you apply for September start? Wishing you good luck!

3 hours ago, HopefulandCurious said:

The part time online program is wildly competitive. I applied to May 2020 Intake and was waitlisted (didn't get off). The email stated that they accepted 25 applicants out of approximately 250. Did you apply for September start? Wishing you good luck!

I applied for September start date. I didn't get an email stating those numbers but that's terrifying! 

3 hours ago, HopefulandCurious said:

Yes, I applied for a September start. When I emailed asking about acceptance rates, that's pretty much the exact numbers I was given as well. 25 out of 250.

I have:

3.6-3.7 GPA from a BA psych
Post grad in behavioural science
About 5 years experience working with youth and adults with developmental disabilities/autism
~1 year working in a coordination position for individuals with mental health issues

Not sure that will be enough, and not expecting to get in at all, I just want to know..!

2 hours ago, Coolcat2019 said:

Yes, I applied for a September start. When I emailed asking about acceptance rates, that's pretty much the exact numbers I was given as well. 25 out of 250.

I have:

3.6-3.7 GPA from a BA psych
Post grad in behavioural science
About 5 years experience working with youth and adults with developmental disabilities/autism
~1 year working in a coordination position for individuals with mental health issues

Not sure that will be enough, and not expecting to get in at all, I just want to know..!

Honestly, I believe that the process is so arbitrary and it depends on so many factors! Somewhere in the main thread someone said when they asked, the average number of (edit: successful) applicants had between 8-10 years of experience. I have about 5 (with some other volunteer and research experience and things) and I was waitlisted with 8 other people. Two years ago (when the online program was rolling out) someone from my BSW cohort got in (with the same experiece as myself, 3 years at the time). I think there is no way to know. 

My philosophy is to go into it with an open mind and no expectations! (That way you're either okay, or pleasantly surprised). Best of luck!

Edited by HopefulandCurious

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey everyone,

Did anybody get into Laurier online program? What are your impressions of it?

I spoke with an advisor yesterday and learnt that it's mostly asynchronous learning, which was disappointing. But I'm curious to hear of current students' experiences?