What are my options?

1Fower

I am going to graduate soon with a bachelors in political science and religion.

I always wanted to go to grad school, but I don’t know how.

I am a first generation immigrant and almost everything I know about graduate school, it was from my own research. 

I did not know that there were resources at the university to help you and I did not know you could ask professors for help.

In fact, I did not know about the GREs until last year. 

I really wanted to go to grad school for a masters of international affairs or a MPP with an international affairs focus.

But now I don’t know what to do.

I don’t have a spectacular number of experiences and I don’t know how to acquire them. My parents do not speak English and I don’t have any connections. I currently live in the Orange County/LA area and I don’t know of any available opportunities. 

I have applied for internships in the past, but I got rejected from almost all of them. Same with jobs and positions.
What should be my next step? There are not a lot of areas that are hiring at the moment due to the pandemic.

5 hours ago, 1Fower said:

I am going to graduate soon with a bachelors in political science and religion.

I always wanted to go to grad school, but I don’t know how.

I am a first generation immigrant and almost everything I know about graduate school, it was from my own research. 

I did not know that there were resources at the university to help you and I did not know you could ask professors for help.

In fact, I did not know about the GREs until last year. 

I really wanted to go to grad school for a masters of international affairs or a MPP with an international affairs focus.

But now I don’t know what to do.

I don’t have a spectacular number of experiences and I don’t know how to acquire them. My parents do not speak English and I don’t have any connections. I currently live in the Orange County/LA area and I don’t know of any available opportunities. 

I have applied for internships in the past, but I got rejected from almost all of them. Same with jobs and positions.
What should be my next step? There are not a lot of areas that are hiring at the moment due to the pandemic.

1. I wouldn't go to graduate school for IR or for MPP straight from undergrad. You simply aren't as competitive, no matter how great your undergraduate career is.

2. Also, I think you should understand why you want to go to graduate school (in terms of a target career outcome) rather than something you want to do

3. In the meantime, you build your resume... anything that has leadership or technical skills on it helps. It sounds like you are applying for jobs without networking. I recommend you network first. Going hog wild on LinkedIn is a good way to start.

1 hour ago, 1Fower said:

How would I go acquiring experience Now that there is a recession?

How long should I wait before starting studying for the GREs and preparing for graduate school?

Thank you.

1. Look, you just need to get a job that gives you leadership opportunities, organization skills, and etc.

Things to think about.

A. Be a teacher

B. Join the military

C. Teach English abroad (when Corona subsides)

D. Work for local government

Focus on learning skills, padding your resume... and focus less on being cool.

2. I would recommend after 2 years of work experience. Then try to grad school on at the end of year 3 or 4. 

But I think more than anything, you need to find career mentors. There are so many programs around that offer career mentors to college kids (just Google). I am a first generation immigrant myself. My parents don't speak English and have 0 connections. I found mentors and networked my way to things. The sooner you get off this forum and go find yourself some mentors, the better off you'll be. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad