Johns Hopkins

silencio1982

Ooh. Grovogui's work sounds cool. Don't know the others. Are you going to visit?

I actually contacted Hazbun a while ago, and set up a meeting with him right after I applied to discuss his work and my application, so I've already been to the campus and seen the department (sort of). I'm thinking, if I end up going there, that I'll just go to those orientations in late August.

I actually contacted Hazbun a while ago, and set up a meeting with him right after I applied to discuss his work and my application, so I've already been to the campus and seen the department (sort of). I'm thinking, if I end up going there, that I'll just go to those orientations in late August.

Oh, I don't think my letter says anything about orientation. But, I may go visit soon since they will reimburse my travel expenses.

Hi all - I'm the one who posted the first result... the one via e-mail, with lots of exclamation points. That being said, I still haven't got this letter other folks seem to have gotten today, and still don't know funding details and things like that. So, to the person who was bummed because they didn't get a letter today, don't give up hope JUST yet.

Anyway, I'm just now wandering on to the forms, and I'm glad to see there's a little community forming here already. So, hey y'all. Me? I'm a theory kinda guy. Pretty schizophrenic in my interests, but generally, globalization and theories of democracy and rights (I agree - Grovogui DOES sound cool). I mostly applied to philosophy programs, but JHU was always pretty much at the top of my list. Looked like a good fit, acceptance e-mail was very nice and the description of the program he (Connolly) gave was really exciting, and he quickly answered the (many) questions I had for him. So, I'm very happy to have gotten in and getting good vibes. Baring a funding shocker from JHU or a funding miracle from NSSR, the one school I'm still holding out on, accepting will probably be a no brainer.

Sounds like there is a lot of cooperation among the subfields, which is cool, and I appreciate you folks anyway, but I'm curious... any more theory-types out there?

Pretty schizophrenic in my interests, but generally, globalization and theories of democracy and rights (I agree - Grovogui DOES sound cool)....the description of the program he (Connolly) gave was really exciting, and he quickly answered the (many) questions I had for him....Sounds like there is a lot of cooperation among the subfields, which is cool, and I appreciate you folks anyway, but I'm curious... any more theory-types out there?

Hi Noodlez...about to embark on a very theory-heavy IR program there, but my impression was that the department was fairly theory-heavy in all sub-disciplines? Mind if I ask what kind of questions you asked Connolly about the deparment? Any ideas what their position is on summer funding?

Pretty schizophrenic in my interests, but generally, globalization and theories of democracy and rights (I agree - Grovogui DOES sound cool)....the description of the program he (Connolly) gave was really exciting, and he quickly answered the (many) questions I had for him....Sounds like there is a lot of cooperation among the subfields, which is cool, and I appreciate you folks anyway, but I'm curious... any more theory-types out there?

Hi Noodlez...about to embark on a very theory-heavy IR program there, but my impression was that the department was fairly theory-heavy in all sub-disciplines? Mind if I ask what kind of questions you asked Connolly about the deparment? Any ideas what their position is on summer funding?

Oh, I don't think my letter says anything about orientation. But, I may go visit soon since they will reimburse my travel expenses.

Hi Silenco - my letter didn't say anything about the orientation either. I saw something about a (mandatory?) university wide orientation in late August for all incoming grads on the JHU website.

Hi Silenco - my letter didn't say anything about the orientation either. I saw something about a (mandatory?) university wide orientation in late August for all incoming grads on the JHU website.

congrats pemorphy and noodlez! :)

i think sundaymonday is right. my master's is in political theory so i am definitely interested in IR theory as well... one of the reasons that i really like JHU is that they are interested in blending work amongst the subfields, especially IR and comp pols. but i also think they (unlike some other schools) appreciate having a theory background no matter what subfield you're in. so, i am very very excited about JHU.

i'm still waiting to hear about northwestern, coincidentally if i went there my work would be much more oriented to IR theory because of the faculty that fit my interests. (i am generally interested in identity, transnationalism, and immigration but also how these things have changed due to globalization...)

so, i definitely feel you will have an interested community of people to work with noodlez!

I guess I was rejected by JHU....emailed them and they just said that decisions are out in the mail.

Funny thing is that the postman in my neighborhood didn't show up today!!

sean- no need to despair- i just got the letter yesterday so i am sure its possible that yours could arrive today or even next week. good luck!

Yeah, when I said "a lot of cooperation among subfields," that was just a polite way of saying everyone bows down to theory there. Well, not really, I meant what I said. But yeah, I probably wouldn't have applied to the program if it wasn't so theory-grounded throughout subfields as it seems to be. I think that is really cool. As long as I don't have to take a quantitative methods class.

My questions to Connolly:

How vegan friendly is Baltimore? He said I'd be fine, gave an example or two.

I made a joke about only knowing the city from John Waters and The Wire, and he went to great lengths to assure me that while The Wire captures life in one part of the city, on the whole, and especially around campus, things are safe and cool.

How does adviser and committee selection go down? You're assigned an adviser at first, but later can pick another one. With that person, you pick two more readers for your dissertation, then three more are selected by the Graduate Dean at the direction of the department. Your dissertation (at least for Connolly) is "a book in the making."

Opportunities to study at other schools or abroad? Other schools are generally "not encouraged," but going overseas for the summer, for language work, etc. is.

Visitors? Brian Massumi was just there for anthropology, and theory students had a few opportunities to meet with him in smaller groups (i.e. over dinner), and that is pretty typical.

I didn't ask about summer funding. Maybe that's the form their "encouragement" of summer work abroad takes? We can hope, right?