Johns Hopkins

silencio1982

Hm... still no letter. I'm getting paranoid and thinking things like "maybe Connolly e-mailed me by mistake?" hehe

haha. yeah. i emailed the DGS a question after i got my letter and was half-expecting him to write back, oops- you weren't supposed to get that letter! i think i am still kind of in shock. :)

Yeah, when I said "a lot of cooperation among subfields," that was just a polite way of saying everyone bows down to theory there. Well, not really, I meant what I said. But yeah, I probably wouldn't have applied to the program if it wasn't so theory-grounded throughout subfields as it seems to be. I think that is really cool. As long as I don't have to take a quantitative methods class.

My questions to Connolly:

How vegan friendly is Baltimore? He said I'd be fine, gave an example or two.

I made a joke about only knowing the city from John Waters and The Wire, and he went to great lengths to assure me that while The Wire captures life in one part of the city, on the whole, and especially around campus, things are safe and cool.

How does adviser and committee selection go down? You're assigned an adviser at first, but later can pick another one. With that person, you pick two more readers for your dissertation, then three more are selected by the Graduate Dean at the direction of the department. Your dissertation (at least for Connolly) is "a book in the making."

Opportunities to study at other schools or abroad? Other schools are generally "not encouraged," but going overseas for the summer, for language work, etc. is.

Visitors? Brian Massumi was just there for anthropology, and theory students had a few opportunities to meet with him in smaller groups (i.e. over dinner), and that is pretty typical.

I didn't ask about summer funding. Maybe that's the form their "encouragement" of summer work abroad takes? We can hope, right?

I love The Wire!!! Good questions :) I heard the Yabba Pot is supposed to be good for vegan/vegetarian food. So is Connolly going to be your main adviser? I perused the main grad website and it looks like summer funding is available (??), but not sure how much of it and how hard it is to get it. We shall see....

To those who were admitted outright, what was your funding package?

tuition plus 16k fellowship, plus health insurance, for 5 years. TA or grading one course per year- first year students only do grading.

i am probably going to accept it later this week. got a very nice email yesterday from one of the profs i want to work with. i'm so excited :)

tuition plus 16k fellowship, plus health insurance, for 5 years. TA or grading one course per year- first year students only do grading.

i am probably going to accept it later this week. got a very nice email yesterday from one of the profs i want to work with. i'm so excited :)

Thanks. Congrats.

Congrats to all JHU folks, if I missed anyone :)

with the news that northwestern has planned its admitted students weekend for this weekend, and therefore i am most likely rejected or (best case scenario) wait-listed, i am 99% sure i will be accepting JHU's offer. anyone else likely to accept? anyone else planning to visit this spring?

I am feeling pretty sure (maybe like 85%) I will accept. But - it costs more than $200 to fly from where I live to Baltimore, and I have literally no extra cash between now and the end of April. Would I be stupid to accept without visiting?

I am feeling pretty sure (maybe like 85%) I will accept. But - it costs more than $200 to fly from where I live to Baltimore, and I have literally no extra cash between now and the end of April. Would I be stupid to accept without visiting?

hey noodlez. i don't think it's stupid. i'm visiting because i can find a plane ticket for under $200... and i've never been to baltimore so i want to see what it's like. i'd most likely be accepting, anyhow, since it's my only offer right now and it's my best fit anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I e-mailed Jane Bennett asking more or less this question about placement, but specific to the theory subfield. I only got one new name, Paulina Ochoa, but it's a pretty compelling placement: Yale (via one year postdoc fellowship at Notre Dame)! A few folks have moved around after short stints at other places, too: e.g. Lars Tonder is now at Northwestern (from Depauw), Nick Tampio is now at Fordham (from Hamilton College). Mileage may vary in other subfields, but it's enough to convince me that a theory degree from JHU will carry quite a bit of water.

I heard from my last program, Philosophy at NSSR, and I'm in with 50% funding. Might sound crazy to even think about living in NYC with only 50% funding, but given the rep. of the department, this is pretty compelling. Still, I'm leaning Hopkins, and will probably lock in in the next few days.

Where are my other JHU friends in their decision process?

hey noodlez. as you've probably gathered i accepted JHU's offer. :) my decision was made a lot easier by virtue of the fact that it was my only acceptance, haha. still, i am super excited to be going there. all my former profs agreed that the dept has a very good reputation and it will be a great fit for me.

good luck making your decision! :)