OSU vs. Virginia

m651

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in studying modern european history. Of that schools accepted me, I was most seriously considering Ohio State and Virginia. I visited both campuses and had a much more positive experience at OSU in terms of the city, the students (seemed happier, had some interests outside of endless readings and coursework), and the faculty (who seemed genuinely excited to have me there). The caveat here is that the professor who would be my advisor at Virginia is on leave, so I haven't had a chance to meet him, and he hasn't been particularly easy to get in touch with. My potential advisor at OSU on the other hand seems to be a great mentor figure, but not necessarily the most distinguished academic.

In terms of funding, OSU offered me TA position with 4 years of guaranteed funding, with the possibility of a 5th year as well. Virginia offered me nothing. So the 15th rolled around and I signed and mailed my OSU acceptance form because it seemed to be the clear choice, despite the department at Virginia being ranked slightly higher, and my potential advisor at Virginia being somewhat of a star in his field.

Then, on the 16th Virginia's graduate studies director wrote an email informing me that I was going to be offered a financial aid package after all. This package would take the form of a 3 year fellowship, with some TA work in years 2 and 3. It was also vaguely suggested that more department funding could be available after that, but only the first 3 years are guaranteed.

So now I'm in a tough spot. I felt good about the people at OSU, as well as the city and campus. I'm having a hard time shaking the feeling though that I'm passing up a great last minute opportunity at Virginia, despite the lukewarm reception I received when I visited. If anyone could offer some additional insight into the situation that might move matters in one direction or the other, I would be extremely grateful.

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in studying modern european history. Of that schools accepted me, I was most seriously considering Ohio State and Virginia. I visited both campuses and had a much more positive experience at OSU in terms of the city, the students (seemed happier, had some interests outside of endless readings and coursework), and the faculty (who seemed genuinely excited to have me there). The caveat here is that the professor who would be my advisor at Virginia is on leave, so I haven't had a chance to meet him, and he hasn't been particularly easy to get in touch with. My potential advisor at OSU on the other hand seems to be a great mentor figure, but not necessarily the most distinguished academic.

In terms of funding, OSU offered me TA position with 4 years of guaranteed funding, with the possibility of a 5th year as well. Virginia offered me nothing. So the 15th rolled around and I signed and mailed my OSU acceptance form because it seemed to be the clear choice, despite the department at Virginia being ranked slightly higher, and my potential advisor at Virginia being somewhat of a star in his field.

Then, on the 16th Virginia's graduate studies director wrote an email informing me that I was going to be offered a financial aid package after all. This package would take the form of a 3 year fellowship, with some TA work in years 2 and 3. It was also vaguely suggested that more department funding could be available after that, but only the first 3 years are guaranteed.

So now I'm in a tough spot. I felt good about the people at OSU, as well as the city and campus. I'm having a hard time shaking the feeling though that I'm passing up a great last minute opportunity at Virginia, despite the lukewarm reception I received when I visited. If anyone could offer some additional insight into the situation that might move matters in one direction or the other, I would be extremely grateful.

First off, congratulations on getting two great offers!

It sounds to me like you felt OSU was the right choice from the beginning, but now you're having second thoughts because of a perceived prestige difference. While I do think that it's really important to work with a well-known mentor, for what it's worth, I also think that feeling comfortable where you'll be spending the next 5ish years of your life is important. Moreover, it would concern me a bit to commit to a program without having communicated with my potential mentor. I don't think his/her unresponsiveness bodes well. After all, working with a star in your field really only pays off if that person is interested in your academic development and is willing to go to bat for you when it comes to funding and, eventually, finding a job.

Just my two cents...good luck with your decision!

Let UVA kick itself in its pants for not doing a better job of reassuring you. OSU still has better funding package. It's still an excellent history program. Don't let prestige factor get to you too much. You need to be at a place where you can truly thrive as an academic and that includes quality of life. When your potential advisor at UVA sees how well you're doing at OSU, s/he is going to be sorry for not trying hard enough in recruiting you to come.

Go back to the DGS at UVA and say that you've already received excellent funding from OSU (spell it out). See what they say. If they can't come up with substantial more money or better package, just say thanks but no thanks.

Also, at this point, you would be burning bridges with the faculty at OSU if you decide to go with UVA. You would have to ask to be release from OSU in orde to attend UVA... there are legal consequences...

No contest Ohio State. UVA has been having financial troubles for a while, so I wouldn't want to go on the assumption that the funding would come through, plus those programs are comparably ranked, if you had a great reception at OSU (and you like OSU more), you should go there.