Between two state schools

So I'm having a difficult time deciding where to get my Masters for Civil Engineering. I've had to stick with state schools because Berkeley, UIUC, and Davis couldn't provide funding. Here's the current situation: I'm a senior at Washington State University (WSU) in Pullman, Washington, which is in the middle of wheatfields in southeastern Washington near the Idaho border. There are two scenarios for my future:

1. Stay at WSU for another year or two and get my master's. I've been offered an RA position and wouldn't have to TA. In addition, they have definite sources of funding for a master's and PhD if I stay here.

2. Attend UW (University of Washington). In my mind, and a lot of other people's mind, UW is a better academic institution for research. However, they can only provide 2 quarters worth of funding for a TA position. So the last quarter would be a mystery. In addition, they have no idea what funding may come in the future.

But I have issues with each one of the above two options:

a. Isn't it frowned upon to receive your BS, MS, and PhD at the same academic institution? If it were Stanford, I think that'd be completely different. But WSU ...

b. I've always played is safe, going where the money is, however, the opportunity to live in Seattle (where UW is located) and get out of Pullman (college town) is very exciting. But the thought of not knowing if there's funding is scary.

c. Will it be more difficult to get a PhD once I've received my master's and BS from the same institution?

I know this is a lot, but I've been grappling with this for about a week now and still can't decide. Wonder what you guys think! I'd appreciate your thoughts!

If you are just going to get your PhD after your masters, the reputation of your masters school won't matter at all once you get your doctorate. To this end, I would say you should avoid debt in choosing a school.

However, you make it sound like funding is possible for that last quarter, just not guaranteed. Also, going to a public school as an instate (I assume) student and only paying one quarter at that, UW probably isn't that expensive, and the leg up it will give you in applying for PhD programs (just looking at US News, in engineering they are 28 vs 76, but I don't know about civil in particular) may be worth it if you have the money to pay for it.

If you are just going to get your PhD after your masters, the reputation of your masters school won't matter at all once you get your doctorate. To this end, I would say you should avoid debt in choosing a school.

However, you make it sound like funding is possible for that last quarter, just not guaranteed. Also, going to a public school as an instate (I assume) student and only paying one quarter at that, UW probably isn't that expensive, and the leg up it will give you in applying for PhD programs (just looking at US News, in engineering they are 28 vs 76, but I don't know about civil in particular) may be worth it if you have the money to pay for it.

^… Ditto this.

It sounds like you really want to go to UW, though. I think I'd make the leap if I were you, and just commit to trying my best to find funding down the road, either with the school or outside sources. Good luck!

Edited by Jae B.

^… Ditto this.

It sounds like you really want to go to UW, though. I think I'd make the leap if I were you, and just commit to trying my best to find funding down the road, either with the school or outside sources. Good luck!

That's what people say to me. I was so excited for UW, but this whole unknown funding thing freaks me out. However, I'm contemplating trying to do my masters at WSU within a year and then applying for other PhD programs. But I have a feeling it would be easier at UW doing my masters and PhD and just getting both at the same institution. I may just be scared of starting anew, and proving myself to be worth funding, which my contact said. But that is the reality. I will need to prove myself and I will.

I'll find out more tomorrow about whether I can finish my masters at WSU in a year. I'll also call UW and ask more about how much per month I'd get and insurance.

Thanks guys for the really good advice!