Sciences Po WITHOUT French? Help???

I am European, but I did my undergraduate degree in the US. I got admitted to the Master in European Affairs (English Track) at Sciences Po, which is a great program considering my career interest - work for the EU. However, I am very concerned about enrolling in Sciences Po with my poor French skills. While academically this should not be an issue (since the program is in English), I am very VERY worried that my bad French:

- will screw up my social life and I'll have a hard time making friends

- will make it harder to find a student job (which I will need to support myself)

- will prevent me from taking advantage of the university's resources (for example, the fact that the career website is only in French raises a red flag!)

In short, I am quite worried that having no French will basically impede me from functioning normally.So I was hoping that any of you who have studied at Sciences Po or have otherwise gathered impressions about the school could address some of my concerns. Am I overworrying or are my concerns legitimate?

Really any info/insight would be sooo welcome :)

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Do you have the time/money to do an intensive French course over the summer? It seems like the combination of a French course followed by the immersion environment of living in Paris would be enough that you'd get along pretty well.

But I'm afraid I can't offer any insights to the program in general.

I'll comment as somewho who grew up in Germany and have travelled to France many times.

Don't get me wrong, France is a great country. However, one of the cons about France is that more than any other countries I've been (that's 50+), you really need to speak French. I remember the first time I was in Paris alone, I asked four people for direction in English. Three simply ignored me, the fourth showed me the wrong direction (could be due to his limited English). I think overall, there tend to be the attitude that if you are in our country, you'll need to follow our culture including speaking our language.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go there. I would just suggest to work hard on your French starting as soon as possible.

Don't get me wrong, France is a great country. However, one of the cons about France is that more than any other countries I've been (that's 50+), you really need to speak French. I remember the first time I was in Paris alone, I asked four people for direction in English. Three simply ignored me, the fourth showed me the wrong direction (could be due to his limited English). I think overall, there tend to be the attitude that if you are in our country, you'll need to follow our culture including speaking our language.

Actually, I see this as a pro, rather than a con. You don't have to deal with people who just want to practice their English. This gives you more opportunities (and a greater impetus) to practice your French outside of the classroom. I tend to think that natives respect people who speak their language poorly over those who don't try to speak their language at all. I wonder if zerolife would have been ignored if she/he had tried asking directions in French. (No disrespect!)

Anyhoo...

As far as language acquisition goes, I would second trying to take summer courses (ideally in France). Being there makes a huge difference, and having to make yourself understood in French in order to get by will be incredibly helpful. Another thing to consider is how much French you knew when you studied it originally. Were you reading at a high school level and generally conversational at one point, or were you still speaking in scripted dialogues and reading textbooks? It'll be easier to get up to speed if you just have to worry about your French coming back to you, rather than learning it anew.

I wouldn't worry so much about not being able to make friends due to poor language skills. I would worry about being able to handle the assignments (reading and writing) in French. Do you think your reading/writing will be up to snuff after only a summer of study? Are you willing to possibly do poorly your first semester with the understanding that your grasp of the language will improve with time and practice? What sort of support structures are available to you as an international student? Do they offer the equivalent of ESL classes that you could take in conjunction with your normal class load?

I would love to be able to do my MA abroad in a different language, so perhaps I'm projecting a bit when I encourage you to take the plunge and do it. At the end of it, not only will you have your MA, you'll be fluent in French. How cool is that?!?

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by bluellie

I'll comment as somewho who grew up in Germany and have travelled to France many times.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go there. I would just suggest to work hard on your French starting as soon as possible.

I agree; I think this is more cultural than linguistic. In my experiences in France (especially Paris), if you start by speaking French to people, they'll be really receptive to you, regardless of whether you have to stop and continue in English at some point. (To the point at which during conversations in French, whenever I paused, the other person smiled and switched to English automatically, even if the reason for my pause was trying to make up my mind about a choice rather than having language-trouble!)

So I would recommend learning just enough of the language to show the locals that you're trying. I get the distinct impression that a lot of them act stand-offish around people who talk to them in English because they're sick of what they see as an Anglophone presumption that everyone in France is just as happy to speak English as French.

Hey there,

I'm French & studied at Sciences Po, so hopefully I can help you with this as well.

1) Your social life: not speaking French shouldn't impede on your social life at Sciences Po per se, since there are many, many international kids who attend this school - particularly for their Masters - and obviously, the common language is English. In my experience, the international students at Sciences Po are all fun & pretty outgoing. However, the same can't be said of i) French people in general and ii) French students at Sciences Po. First, what other posters have said is true - French people, unfortunately, can be cold and difficult to approach at first, so striking up a convo with a French person won't necessarily be easy if you don't speak French. However, as the others have said, they do truly appreciate it when people make an effort to try to speak French; also, the younger the person you talk to, the nicer that person is likely to be and the more likely is is that this person speaks English as well. Second, You'll notice that French students at Sciences Po either hang out with a predefined group of people or keep to themselves, and that's very specific to ScPo (not all French students are that way). You definitely have to be the outgoing one if you want to strike up a friendship with a French kid. But once that happens, you'll truly be friends, as opposed to what I've experienced in the U.S. (American students being extremely nice and outgoing to you, and, being used to French-ness, you think that means you found a new best friend, then you realize they're just that way in general with everyone and that it really doesn't mean that you've become friends with that person).

So - finding international friends at ScPo will be easy; being friends with French kids will be less so, but if you're outgoing & make an effort to speak French you should do fine :)

2) Finding a student job: it'll certainly be difficult in the sense that yes you do need to speak French for 99% of student jobs you'll be applying to. There are a few tricks though: for instance there's an awesome American diner in the heart of Paris whose waiters/waitresses seem to be exclusively Americans who speak pretty poor French; or you can always try to find a job in an American/British library/bookshop. You could also try doing a few hours at the Sciences Po library.

3) Taking advantage of university resources: it'd certainly help if you could understand or at least try to make minimum sense of the job/internship listings available on the career website, that's for sure. If you work intensively on your French before going to ScPo though, you should be OK and you can always ask for help from the people in charge at Sciences Po of the international students.

In other words: if you try to work on your French intensively a few months before leaving, you should be OK & you'll be able to navigate the Sciences Po world just fine. I've seen many internationals at Sciences Po whose French was pretty poor, and they did OK. Plus, you'll learn a new European language in the process (particularly useful for working in EU affairs, and ScPo has great recognition in the EU milieu)and above all, get to live in gay Paris!

Voilà - hope this helps! :)

Edited by Parisienne

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

bluellie,

I have NEVER taken French until this last year. So really my French is at a very basic level sad.gif And learning the language for my program is not a concern because it is in English. However, obviously, it would be helpful to pick up as much French as possible to make my life easier in other areas.

Parisienne,

Thanks so much for the insight on Sciences Po! This is really helpfulsmile.gif

Now that I am close to making a decision, French is not my biggest concern anymore. Even though it has been a pain communicating with Sciences Po with no French, my greatest worry right now is money. I did not get as much as I expected from Sciences Po, and many people I talked to, including people here, confirmed that without French, getting a student job would be quite a challenge.

I am also starting to worry about the type of degree I'll be getting - Master in European Affairs. While I am very interested in the EU, I am afraid that this degree may pigeonhole me too much. Also, with a MA in European Affairs from Sciences Po coming back to the US (if I decide I want to) would be impossible unless I get transferred by a European/French company or accumulate a wealth of experience...

So right now, I am thinking about deferring for a year to improve my French, save money and perhaps apply to more graduate schools.

Anybody have any additional thoughts?

Hey there,

I'm French & studied at Sciences Po, so hopefully I can help you with this as well.

1) Your social life: not speaking French shouldn't impede on your social life at Sciences Po per se, since there are many, many international kids who attend this school - particularly for their Masters - and obviously, the common language is English. In my experience, the international students at Sciences Po are all fun & pretty outgoing. However, the same can't be said of i) French people in general and ii) French students at Sciences Po. First, what other posters have said is true - French people, unfortunately, can be cold and difficult to approach at first, so striking up a convo with a French person won't necessarily be easy if you don't speak French. However, as the others have said, they do truly appreciate it when people make an effort to try to speak French; also, the younger the person you talk to, the nicer that person is likely to be and the more likely is is that this person speaks English as well. Second, You'll notice that French students at Sciences Po either hang out with a predefined group of people or keep to themselves, and that's very specific to ScPo (not all French students are that way). You definitely have to be the outgoing one if you want to strike up a friendship with a French kid. But once that happens, you'll truly be friends, as opposed to what I've experienced in the U.S. (American students being extremely nice and outgoing to you, and, being used to French-ness, you think that means you found a new best friend, then you realize they're just that way in general with everyone and that it really doesn't mean that you've become friends with that person).

So - finding international friends at ScPo will be easy; being friends with French kids will be less so, but if you're outgoing & make an effort to speak French you should do fine :)

2) Finding a student job: it'll certainly be difficult in the sense that yes you do need to speak French for 99% of student jobs you'll be applying to. There are a few tricks though: for instance there's an awesome American diner in the heart of Paris whose waiters/waitresses seem to be exclusively Americans who speak pretty poor French; or you can always try to find a job in an American/British library/bookshop. You could also try doing a few hours at the Sciences Po library.

3) Taking advantage of university resources: it'd certainly help if you could understand or at least try to make minimum sense of the job/internship listings available on the career website, that's for sure. If you work intensively on your French before going to ScPo though, you should be OK and you can always ask for help from the people in charge at Sciences Po of the international students.

In other words: if you try to work on your French intensively a few months before leaving, you should be OK & you'll be able to navigate the Sciences Po world just fine. I've seen many internationals at Sciences Po whose French was pretty poor, and they did OK. Plus, you'll learn a new European language in the process (particularly useful for working in EU affairs, and ScPo has great recognition in the EU milieu)and above all, get to live in gay Paris!

Voilà - hope this helps! :)

Parisienne,

I was wondering if I could ask you two more questions:

1) While you were at Sciences Po, what was your impression of Sciences Po Avenir? Are they good at helping students get jobs after graduation?

2) Also, this is random but do you have any thoughts on the MPA program at Sciences Po? I know it started fairly recently, so I can't find that much inside info about it. I am considering applying in the fall.

Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate it!

Parisienne,

I was wondering if I could ask you two more questions:

1) While you were at Sciences Po, what was your impression of Sciences Po Avenir? Are they good at helping students get jobs after graduation?

2) Also, this is random but do you have any thoughts on the MPA program at Sciences Po? I know it started fairly recently, so I can't find that much inside info about it. I am considering applying in the fall.

Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate it!

Having almost completed my MPA from Sciences Po and being a non-EU student with no French skills, here are my observations:

1. Sciences Po is highly regarded in France and to some extent across continental Europe. However, the absence of French language skills will hurt you when it comes to finding a job. If you're American for example, you're much better off going for a degree which has a better brand-name in the English speaking world. However, if you're an EU citizen and can speak a continental EU language, then things can change for the better.

2. The MPA's been an excellent academic and practical experience, the professors here are mostly practitioners as opposed to academics, which is wonderful. You will get new perspectives on things, this is the best part of being at Sciences Po. And your social life won't suffer due to French language too much!

3. Sciences Po Avenir is great for those who can speak some French, for the rest of us it is largely irrelevant. Finding jobs is entirely your own responsibility, which isn't great with the continuous workload of classes.

Hope thins helps in making a more informed decision.

To give a quick answer to the first set of questions you ask :

1) Yes, getting a student job with zero French skills might be difficult. However, again, there are a few options you could check out (giving private English lessons/tutoring for example). You might want to contact Sciences Po’s American Center to find out more about how they usually help out U.S. students with finding jobs.

2) You have to be sure that the E.U is what you’re truly interested in right now if you decide to pursue the Sciences Po Masters in EU Affairs. As the above poster said, Sciences Po is well known and regarded in France & Europe, and this degree will help you in getting jobs in say, E.U lobbies, or European think tanks. It’ll also help you get a job as a parliamentary attaché if that’s something you’re interested in. But if you're not hell-bent on EU affairs, or if you're thinking about moving back to the U.S., that degree wouldn't be the best choice. My general advice is, if you’re not sure about what you want to do with the degree, how you want to leverage it, and if it’s the right degree for you, then work for a while, and defer application until you’re sure. Extra prof. experience is always valued obviously, and you can get a Master’s at any given point, but make sure you know what you wanna do with it to avoid wasting time & money.

3) Sciences Po Avenir is not super helpful… They have a good website with interesting offers, especially for internships, but when I was there they weren’t the best helpers.

4) I really don’t know anything about the MPA degree, so I’ll just refer you to what the above poster said :)