LOANSSSS...

LTee

I will not be receiving funding for my masters program, and Im getting kinda nervous about the amount of loans I will accrue. I will be attending a small private school that offers very little outside of loans and a few competitive scholarships. The three year program will cost me roughly $45,000, not including living expenses. Im not going into a research field or attending a large university where I can be a TA or work in a lab, and frankly Im excited and proud that I even got into some of the schools that I applied to (I had a low GPA and GRE scores.) Anyways, if Im not offered anything outside of loans this year, is there a possibility that as I get to know the school and professors that maybe I can get some sort of funding for my second year? I sometimes think Im crazy for considering taking out loans for 2-3 years, but then again if it's a field that Im passionate about and can make decent money eventually it's all worth it right? Im hoping a part time job will be feasible also. Any insight folks?

Anyways, if Im not offered anything outside of loans this year, is there a possibility that as I get to know the school and professors that maybe I can get some sort of funding for my second year?

This is a question that you should ask the director of graduate studies at your chosen program. Say how excited you are to be coming, and ask if other students ever pick up funding after arriving, what forms it takes, and how common it is.

I sometimes think Im crazy for considering taking out loans for 2-3 years, but then again if it's a field that Im passionate about and can make decent money eventually it's all worth it right?

Not necessarily. Have you run a loan repayment calculator and figured out how much you'll be paying a month once you're done? You can find one on google.

Caffeinated,

I am in a similar situation. I was planning on applying to about 5 or 6 schools and changed my mind at the last minute. I, however, did apply to one of the schools I wanted to do to in addition to my undergraduate institution. My GRE scores were sub-par for getting into most engineering programs and I wasn't able to improve much on a second GRE attempt (standardized tests are my enemy). From my understanding, GRE scores seemed to play a large role in graduate school decisions, so I couldn't afford to just gamble the 6 or 7 hundred dollars it would have taken to apply to the schools I had in mind. My GPA was pretty decent but definitely not close to a 4.0. While reading through posts on the forum, it seems like just about everyone has some sort of fellowship, stipend, schoarship, assistantship, or something. I, on the other hand, didn't receive any sort of assistance from the programs I got into. I'm glad (although it's unfortunate we didn't get anything up front) to see someone else who is wondering how they are going to pay for their graduate education.

I am also curious about receiving funding after having been at the school for a little while. I don't know where to begin as far as seeking out fellowships, assistantships, and etc. What types of part time jobs are suitable for students like us? I have contacted several professors in the department to see if they have any GA's available but no luck. I suppose I will just have to go up there and begin school and talk to as many people as I can to help find some sort of funding. It has and still is a hard decision to leave my undergraduate institution because I still work there as a research assistant and I would probably be able to keep that money coming if I stayed here. I just think going to the new institution may be better for my career because I really don't know where things would lead me if I stayed put, while I have a good idea what my opportunities are at the new school.

Keep me informed of what you find out and I hope people continue to respond to this post.

-bsteinma

I finished my MA a few years ago, and when I started my program, I was only offered a very small scholarship (I think it was only for $2500). I went for it anyway, and ended up getting more scholarships and grants as I went along. In the end, I only payed for two classes at the very expensive school I went to (tuition was something like 30K/yr). I think it helped to see my advisor often and I told him about my situation -- that I had a high GPA in the program (my undergrad GPA was average) and really needed more scholarships/grants to complete my MA. I also made an appointment to speak with someone in financial aid and let them know about my background and that I was very much in need of scholarship money, if any became available. Personally, I think it helped that the person in financial aid knew who I was -- that way, when scholarship money became available, I think they may have thought of me first before an anonymous application.

I know that other people in my program did not receive scholarships (I would guess that most did not receive scholarships). Some ended up with a lot of loans. Some of my classmates worked -- part time and full time. You aren't the only people attending grad school without full funding. Of course, I wouldn't go into the program assuming you'll get scholarships. If you do decide to attend, you should probably be prepared not to get any scholarship money, and then make every effort to apply for anything and everything and hope that some funding comes your way. You could also look into work opportunities at your university. Where I did my MA, if you work in an administrative position, you get tuition remission. This is an easy way to pay for grad school, if your institution offers it.