SLP Grad school?

slp1998

Question

Hello all!

I am considering applying to an SLP program but have a few concerns. For one, I work full time so I know I would need to attend either fully online or part time. How are clinicals? How many hours a week do you dedicate to them and how often? I know some people who have worked full time while in a SLP program so I am just wondering if amount of time in clinicals is flexible per term or varies with program.  If any SLP or student in grad school can provide some insight specifically about clinicals that’d be greatly appreciated!! 

2 answers to this question

Hi there!

I just applied to grad school and that was one of my main concerns as well. I rely on working full time but I do know that grad school is super demanding! Some advice that I got from those in grad programs were pretty similar. They said that each student is different (obviously) so the work load could be demanding for one but not the other. I know that most programs set up their clinicals to coincide with lectures. So you could spend Monday-Friday in class and clinics which would make it difficult to work. Some students did babysitting on the weekends but felt they didn't have enough time for themselves because this field is super demanding. They advised on just taking out loans (super scary to take out alot of loans :( ) and with our job security, we should be able to pay it off. I know this isn't a direct answer but I hope the advice I heard could help ya out just a little bit! Good luck with everything :) 

The college I will be starting is Monday-thrusday with clinicals before class. I’m not sure about other programs but mine gives you clients when the semester starts. I asked the previous cohort about working and out of 20ish a few had jobs. The jobs weren’t anything like a social worker but more flexible like at a bar and retail. Most of my work experience is working in schools so I’m hoping I can work a few hrs, do clinicals and then go to class (clinical hrs can be all over so I could have someone mid morning and set everything off) That would be in an ideal world. I will be living on campus so I’m also looking for on campus jobs that are usually more flexible. I didn’t ask them how many clinical hours I’d be doing. Sorry!!

What kind of job would you be working? Is it flexible? I didn’t apply to any online programs but, I know they offer a lot of flexibility. I did my leveling courses online and was able to work 2 jobs and have a social life though I didn’t do clinicals. You should make a post in the speech forum to reach more people like you. I’m sure you’ll get a lot more answers from veterans!!