Canada - OISE Social Justice PhD 2020

Taphlondapadon

Hi everyone,

I’ve searched the forum and don’t see much updated information about the U of T OISE Social Justice PhD program. I’m hoping this can be a place to discuss applications and any program specifics.

I received an acceptance to the program on February 13, 2020 after a nerve-racking wait.

For those still waiting on any program at OISE you can see the stats on how many people applied to each program and how many were first choice candidates here: https://ro.oise.utoronto.ca/RO_Stats.htm

My background is in social work. I graduated from U of T’s MSW program in 2014 and have been working in the field ever since.

I’m honestly feeling a bit out of sorts with starting a program in education as I don’t know much about the education field/theories/culture.

Also, starting a PhD after several years away from academics is quite daunting. I have no idea what to expect come September.

Although I did the MSW program at U of T I didn’t spend much time on campus other than for classes and some research work. I remember the environment was quite competitive and although I could hold my own, that kind of culture doesn’t jive with me.

Could anyone help with what the culture of faculty and students is like at OISE?

For those who have done the Social Justice Phd/Master (or another PhD in the department), how was your experience?

Anyone doing a PhD after being in the field for several years? How was getting back into academic shape?

Also, has anyone turned down an offer for the program to attend somewhere else?

I would love to hear your thoughts!