Choice: Brandeis Heller School MPP or MA in Political Science at BC GSAS?

Hello,

I'm in the middle of a crisis of confidence that formed due to indecision allowed to fester until the last moment, and now I have only a day or so in which to make this decision. I'm looking to study either political science or public policy and would eventually like to pursue academia or find a position in a think tank or some such research institute. I received 65% tuition funding in merit scholarships from Brandeis but the cost of both programs seems to be the same  even after the scholarship is factored in. All else being equal, which one of these programs has better long term prospects? I understand this is a vague question, but I'm really at a loss here.

If anyone who is either an alumnus of one of these programs or is currently enrolled has any insight, I would be much obliged. 

10 hours ago, exaggeratedshrug said:

Hello,

I'm in the middle of a crisis of confidence that formed due to indecision allowed to fester until the last moment, and now I have only a day or so in which to make this decision. I'm looking to study either political science or public policy and would eventually like to pursue academia or find a position in a think tank or some such research institute. I received 65% tuition funding in merit scholarships from Brandeis but the cost of both programs seems to be the same  even after the scholarship is factored in. All else being equal, which one of these programs has better long term prospects? I understand this is a vague question, but I'm really at a loss here.

If anyone who is either an alumnus of one of these programs or is currently enrolled has any insight, I would be much obliged. 

Bottom line, if you want to be in academia, the shortest way way is stay in academia --> BC GSAS and do research + teach. MPP technically is and should be a professional school that is about getting people into policy practice. People do go from MPP to academia/think tank, but that is the painful way to do it. Not to sound awkward about it, but simply put --> Brandeis MPP is nothing special. I bucket it under the run of the mill MPP. I recommend you go to BC and do some awesome research and make your dreams come true.

• 3 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 10:15 PM, exaggeratedshrug said:

Hello,

Sorry that I did not see this sooner, so I guess this will mostly be for reference.

What I can add is that the choice between Brandeis Heller and BC is also largely one of political and social orientation. When someone sees these schools on your resume, they may make certain assumptions about you. Brandeis is viewed as the Bob Jones University of the left, or an Antifa training ground. BC is towards the opposite end of the spectrum - Irish, Catholic, conservative. Keep that in mind when choosing a school that aligns with your plans. If you wanted to work for, say, government, BC is better because it's viewed as more politically neutral and, as an agent of the government, you would need to be. (BC really isn't more politically neutral. It just aligns better with the beliefs of the people who tend to be power brokers.) For academia, I agree with the other poster. Neither program is worth student loan debt though.

If you are a minority, you will have an easier time socially at Brandeis although not by much. At BC, you would be dealing with a segment of society that has benefited the most from the white pedestal endowed by racial casting in the U.S. At Brandeis, you would be dealing mostly with affluent Jews who excel at fake wokeness while deeply looking down on anything "of color".

Heller hypes its public and social policy programs although they are not very good. The school has lost its best policy scholars and what's left isn't worth going into student loan debt to study with. Anita Hill rarely teaches, even when you can get her in a classroom. Bob Kuttner is resorting to going on Steve Bannon's webcast these days for attention. Heller's not HKS. It's not Princeton, or G'town or GW either. BC doesn't have much of a reputation outside of its region.

I don't think Heller is a great school and I went there (for the aid. They can do better than 65%, or at least they can in a good year. I heard that they sent current students emails about the adverse financial effects from COVID.) It's not academically rigorous in the least. It's less of an institution of higher learning and more of a degree factory that is structured to extract profit with its "accelerated dual degree programs".

Best wishes for the program you chose!