Oxford MPP

I was recently admitted off of the waitlist to the MPP at the University of Oxford. I've seen some misgivings on this site about the rigor of the curriculum. I am wondering if anyone has any context about the quality of the instruction and coursework. The school frequently describes the program as not appropriate for those who intend to later do research, which leaves me nervous about the value of the coursework, especially when part of the instruction next year might be online, meaning that more of the program's value will come from the merit of the instruction itself. Does anyone have any insight into the program?

31 minutes ago, gaflaher said:

I was recently admitted off of the waitlist to the MPP at the University of Oxford. I've seen some misgivings on this site about the rigor of the curriculum. I am wondering if anyone has any context about the quality of the instruction and coursework. The school frequently describes the program as not appropriate for those who intend to later do research, which leaves me nervous about the value of the coursework, especially when part of the instruction next year might be online, meaning that more of the program's value will come from the merit of the instruction itself. Does anyone have any insight into the program?

I had a family member get in but chose to do another program in Oxford instead. I myself also looked into it.

So two notes

1. This is not a good option if you are trying to go into academia or academic research. A good chunk of this is because this is not a quant intensive program. Compared to most US MPP programs, this is a quant low program. 

2. This is however the right program for you as a means of seeking a professional outcomes afterwards. I really appreciate the culture of Oxford MPP and how:

A. Your peers will really challenge you to achieve and strive professionally

B: The British "academic pub scene" will really have your peers challenge you in why you believe what you believe. In my 2 days of visiting Oxford, I had more  meaningful academic discussion of public policy than all my years in grad school in the US

HOWEVER... I'm not sure how much you would gain (or lose to gain) if they did online classes and you weren't there in Oxford to absorb the experience. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad