Shall I apply to PhD programs this fall?

Yyah

Hi there,

I am feeling anxious recently. I have made plans to apply to PhD programs in Art History this fall, and have quit my job to work on the applications/writing samples full time. Looks like the pandemic will affect admission and funding..? Should I stick to the plan and apply anyway? I started to apply to jobs since last month but without luck so far...any advice would be appreciated!

On 5/7/2020 at 1:25 PM, Artgirl87 said:

Yes! Of course you should apply! 

Maybe consider casting the net a little wider (and applying to a few more schools), but don't be discouraged by the state of the world. This too shall pass. 

That's very encouraging! Thanks a lot!!

• 2 weeks later...

@Yyah  I agree about casting your net a little wider, but not necessarily about applying to more schools.  Widening your net to find other programs, or ones you might not have originally considered is an excellent idea.  But I'd keep your final list short and sweet.  This will give you more time and space to make contacts at that program, to speak to current students and potential advisors and the director of graduate studies for your program.  I believe that those connections will increase your chances of getting into a good program.

I also think that the best people to answer whether or not you should apply will be the people in the programs where you are applying.  They will know what their funding and admission status will be, and will be better able to advise you about how the process has changed.  Plus, if they say that waiting is better, your contact now will only help your application later on, since they'll see that your interest has continued.