UToronto PhD App Question

aurelie426

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster :) 

I've accepted an offer to do a 1 year history masters in the UK this upcoming academic year and am hoping to apply for PhD programs during the program so that I'd be able to start my PhD the year after that. (First off, is that crazy? I'm 4 years out of undergrad and the prospect of being in my mid/late 30s upon PhD graduation is a little daunting, so I'm trying to speed up the process.)

I'm really interested in UToronto's history program, especially in the Diaspora history concentration (can't remember if that's exactly what they call it) but saw that there was a masters GPA requirement for entrance into the PhD. As I won't even have first semester grades at the time of applying to PhD programs, would it still be possible for me to apply? (My undergrad GPA falls short of their undergrad GPA requirement for applicants going straight into the PhD after their BA.) I've sent email inquiries to the admissions email at the UToronto history department but never heard back, if anyone was in a similar position and has some insight I'd appreciate it!

1) are you a Canadian citizen

2) the fact that you haven't heard back is, based on my experience with UoT, a little red flag

• 3 months later...