Potential Advisors

dwisn31

I’m an undergrad student whose beginning to look into Masters programs for Classics/Ancient History. My main focus is in Classical Greek History, but there are not many professors who have this same interest. Does anyone have any suggestions for professors or programs who have an interest in Classical Greek History?

CAMWS, the Classics conference, has a list of MA and PhD Programs. You might consider taking some time this summer just researching programs and what they can offer: https://camws.org/node/555. I know that I did this for my PhD and it really helped open my eyes to so many more programs that I did not even realize existed. Most of the links on the site are old, but you can get the school name and just put in classics program or something similar. 

I don't think there is really a lacking of people interested broadly in Greek history though if you narrowed down that interest you might be able to narrow down your list of potential schools.

At my current program (CU Boulder Classics M.A.) there is Peter Hunt who does Greek History though again I don't know if his particular flavour is yours. https://www.colorado.edu/classics/peter-hunt . During my time at the Classics Post-Bacc at UPenn there were a few students from the Ancient History PhD at Penn who were from the CU-Boulder Classics MA which might give some indication of its potential for placement.

Obviously this is a single example, but hopefully it's somewhat useful.

• 3 weeks later...

A good start would be to look up professors whose work you've read/liked! Start with recent books/articles that you like for topic, methodology, etc and see where they're based and if they can take graduate students. There are lots of great Greek historians out there. Another way would be to go through faculty lists at schools with good departments and see if there's anyone who comes close to what you do. If there isn't, or there isn't much representation of historians (in a classics dept), it's probably not a good match. I'd also recommend looking into combined programs, like Yale Ancient History, Michigan IPGRH, UC Berkeley AHMA. Ancient History has a different feel depending on what type of program you end up in.