jhu sais MA vs cornell cipa mpa

Hello everyone,

I'm an international student and I really need your help to make me decide between jhu sais and cornell cipa. My career interest is international organization. I want to work in US or Europe, but I don't mind if I need to go back to my home country to find a job in investment banking, consulting or marketing. 

I think SAIS performs better in professional training. But CIPA has more course choices. Also Cornell is more recognized in my home country (because it's ivy league). I'm wondering if there are any SAIS MA students who can share their personal experiences (especially job-seeking related). Thank you so much:) 

If financing is equal, it's an easy choice, SAIS. SAIS and SIPA are the programs that send most graduates to IOs. SAIS is closer to the policy-drafting process -- although PHDs reign here -- whereas SIPA graduates are more "hands-on" and implementing the policies abroad -- this being a general distinction imo. Fletcher is also a solid program, albeit more humanitarian focused. Georgetown MSFS, typically lumped into the elite tier of MA in IR programs, has a heavy federal government/diplomacy focus -- and its brand is hurting from the federal government's hiring freeze/over-reliance on Rangel/Pickering fellowships to fill State Department ranks. CIPA is relatively unknown in the field.

I understand why the Ivy League brand may be pushing you towards CIPA -- as these things do matter abroad, but unless better funded, it's SAIS all day. Shame you don't have SIPA as an option, as it would have checked the boxes you are looking for.

12 hours ago, Margaret133 said:

Hello everyone,

I'm an international student and I really need your help to make me decide between jhu sais and cornell cipa. My career interest is international organization. I want to work in US or Europe, but I don't mind if I need to go back to my home country to find a job in investment banking, consulting or marketing. 

I think SAIS performs better in professional training. But CIPA has more course choices. Also Cornell is more recognized in my home country (because it's ivy league). I'm wondering if there are any SAIS MA students who can share their personal experiences (especially job-seeking related). Thank you so much:) 

Without a question SAIS. That CIPA program is first of all an MPA degree, and will be less valuable for banking, consulting, or marketing. 2nd, if you want to have a shot at working in US or Europe, SAIS has the connections and opportunities that might work out for you if you get lucky... CIPA is a brand new program that isn't even a school. Also, SAIS has an established International students population. while CIPA Is largely American --> so you'll be pretty lonely in CIPA. I also think each class is only about 20 or so. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

afaik SAIS is getting restructured imminently so just a thought

overall though, unless CIPA is giving you a ton of money, you should do SAIS, especially if you want to work in an IO. I also don't know any country where Cornell is better respected than Johns Hopkins, but I know many countries where Johns Hopkins is a brand name and Cornell is virtually unknown.