Research at MSR, Google, FAIR and the like

Do people on the forum have insights as to research at MSR, Google, FAIR and the similar industry groups? My department (statistics at a top 10 school) does not really send anyone to such jobs and so I do not have much information about them. I want to spent at least one summer testing out the waters.

How does one go about getting a research scientist internship at these firms? Is it primarily via a referral from one's advisor or department?

How does the compensation look vs academic jobs (Principal Researcher at MSR vs an associate prof)?

How is the research different vs academic jobs?

Some people on this forum seem to know people who do things like this, but I'll just give my experience/knowledge with tech companies.

If you're doing deep learning or something more CS-related, there are probably many more such opportunities. The ML/Statistics research group at Microsoft has 9 people, and many of them are not statisticians: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/theme/machine-learning-statistics/. Google to my knowledge does not have statistics researchers outside of their normal data scientists (who do things that you might consider research?).  Facebook research does seem to have a bigger core data science team, which is more research-oriented.  The biggest key to being hired is likely having done the right type of research (deep learning, causal inference, networks, something that they have a need for) and having impressive publications.

The compensation is going to blow away anything in academia. Entry level data scientists with PhDs start at these companies at $200k+ total compensation.  I imagine researchers make at least that.  It is my impression that there are not enough of these positions for it to be a definite career path.  There are hundreds of people with PhDs from top 20 statistics programs just working as regular data scientists at these companies.

why is there almost no info on these folks, though? sounds like this would be the place for more mathematical/statistical research

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/group/theory-group/