Harvard MPA - ID at 40

Hi All

I just turned 40, work as a Senior corporate finance consultant and really want to switch career into public administration, NGO or international organizations. My dream job would be an economist position at the IFC or any other organization ( OECD, European Central bank…). Ultimately though I really want to move back to Senegal and work for the government

Since they only hire PhD candidates and some HKS MPA-ID graduate, there is no path for me right now.

So I’m thinking about joining an MPA program, ideally the Harvard MPA-ID. I know how competitive this program is. I heard that the MPA2 is slightly less competitive but I’m not sure if it would be the right fit for the kind of move I’m trying to make. I’m also not considering other MPAs for the same reason

I have a master’s degree in economics from my home country and an MBA from HEC Paris (n1 BS in Europe) but my professional experience (15 years) is not stelar (no IB, no MBB) mainly pconsulting firms like Deloitte and corporate finance positions for insurance companies

Is my age a serious handicap for my application ? Do I still stand a reasonable chance or should I just forget about it ?

Also, even If I’m lucky enough to get in, would I be able to the secure the type of position I’m looking for (I would be 43-ish by the end of the program)

thanks for your insights

Edited by Aïssata Gaëlle

11 hours ago, Aïssata Gaëlle said:

Hi All

I just turned 40, work as a Senior corporate finance consultant and really want to switch career into public administration, NGO or international organizations. My dream job would be an economist position at the IFC or any other organization ( OECD, European Central bank…). Ultimately though I really want to move back to Senegal and work for the government

Since they only hire PhD candidates and some HKS MPA-ID graduate, there is no path for me right now.

So I’m thinking about joining an MPA program, ideally the Harvard MPA-ID. I know how competitive this program is. I heard that the MPA2 is slightly less competitive but I’m not sure if it would be the right fit for the kind of move I’m trying to make. I’m also not considering other MPAs for the same reason

I have a master’s degree in economics from my home country and an MBA from HEC Paris (n1 BS in Europe) but my professional experience (15 years) is not stelar (no IB, no MBB) mainly pconsulting firms like Deloitte and corporate finance positions for insurance companies

Is my age a serious handicap for my application ? Do I still stand a reasonable chance or should I just forget about it ?

Also, even If I’m lucky enough to get in, would I be able to the secure the type of position I’m looking for (I would be 43-ish by the end of the program)

thanks for your insights

So these are my thoughts.

1. Granted IB and MBB looks impressive on a resume, I know people with a way slimmer resume than you who ended up working those organizations (granted they went entry route or contractor and then went up the ladder). I wouldn't hit yourself with that.

2. I think your real issue has nothing to do with brand but more so career paths. Business and economics are two related but academically speaking fundamentally different things. The reason why they like PhDs is because those roles deal with those economic analysis that PhDs have been trained on. Even if you get in as an HKS MPA-ID grad, you will most likely play 2nd fiddle to PhDs anyway. I a lot of such research organizations give top billing to PhDs while masters degree folks occupy this gray area where generally speaking they aren't as valued for their research credentials (or so what is what I have heard + people tell me). 

3. As for age, I think there are 2 ways to think about this. One is yes, age discrimination past 30 is definitely a reality in the workplace in general for both male and female (obviously it impacts females more). I don't know that neck of the woods well enough to give you an assessment how that might really impact you.

However, another way to think about it is that do you:

A. As 43 year old want to work with a bunch of late 20s / early 30s PhDs or HKA MPA-IDs?

B. As a 50 year old (because it takes about 5 to 7 years to establish credibility), but with a bunch of people in their early to late 30s.

Honestly a big a chunk of any work place is the people you work with and if you aren't happy with the work environment, you probably won't be satisfied with your career situation.

I recommend that if you care about international development, work with your resume and not against it. Use what you have to support non-profit entrepreneurship in developing countries / situations you are interested in. 

2 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

So these are my thoughts.

1. Granted IB and MBB looks impressive on a resume, I know people with a way slimmer resume than you who ended up working those organizations (granted they went entry route or contractor and then went up the ladder). I wouldn't hit yourself with that.

2. I think your real issue has nothing to do with brand but more so career paths. Business and economics are two related but academically speaking fundamentally different things. The reason why they like PhDs is because those roles deal with those economic analysis that PhDs have been trained on. Even if you get in as an HKS MPA-ID grad, you will most likely play 2nd fiddle to PhDs anyway. I a lot of such research organizations give top billing to PhDs while masters degree folks occupy this gray area where generally speaking they aren't as valued for their research credentials (or so what is what I have heard + people tell me). 

3. As for age, I think there are 2 ways to think about this. One is yes, age discrimination past 30 is definitely a reality in the workplace in general for both male and female (obviously it impacts females more). I don't know that neck of the woods well enough to give you an assessment how that might really impact you.

However, another way to think about it is that do you:

A. As 43 year old want to work with a bunch of late 20s / early 30s PhDs or HKA MPA-IDs?

B. As a 50 year old (because it takes about 5 to 7 years to establish credibility), but with a bunch of people in their early to late 30s.

Honestly a big a chunk of any work place is the people you work with and if you aren't happy with the work environment, you probably won't be satisfied with your career situation.

I recommend that if you care about international development, work with your resume and not against it. Use what you have to support non-profit entrepreneurship in developing countries / situations you are interested in. 

I concur with this analysis. I would look to make a more subtle career shift, utilizing your education and experience. Your credentials are outstanding and IMHO an MBA from HEC Paris is every bit as useful if not more so as an MPA from the Kennedy School. Maybe consider mid-to-senior-level operations and finance positions at orgs that interest you. Alternatively, look at getting on a public sector contract with Deloitte or another top-tier consulting firm. I don't think this will be that difficult for you.

Incoming HKS student here, and I want to speak only to the HKS aspect of what you've written. if it helps, I've got roughly 10 to 15 years of experience (depending on what you count), and so while I was eligible for the MCMPA, I still went for the MPA. The MPA-ID and the MPP have much younger cohorts, a very quantitative curriculum, and one that doesn't offer much flexibility, as compared to the MPA that has 90% electives, roughly speaking, though the cohort is still in their late 20s. In contrast, the MC-MPA has students who are much older, and the curriculum is not quantitative at all.  

Given all of this, here are three issues to think about: 

1. Are you comfortable studying alongside people in their early 20s? Do you think you will learn much from them? Are you looking for a job where you are producing analyses, or do you want one where you are using those analyses to make decisions? IMO, companies would prefer to hire younger kids with little experience to produce analyses, so you might have a tougher time getting into these firms. 

2. What are your professional strengths? Do you already have some leadership and people management skills in place? If you are established in your career, perhaps you should consider the MC-MPA for the opportunity to network with well-placed people, and to find a job through them. 

3. HEC offers a valuable and reputed brand. That said, if you want another brand on your resume, and you also want a quantitative curriculum, and you don't care about the network (because you want to get into a very specific and small entity, then you might be better off with the WWS one-year MPA. The best part is that it is fully-funded, so that allows you to go work in a developing world context right after graduation, instead of worrying about loans to repay after HKS.