Law Student Interested in PHD, Next Steps?

super12345

I just finished my second year at law school, and have come to the conclusion that I would like to get a PHD in sociology and to become a professor. 

How can I make myself competitive for PHD programs? 

My background is as follows: 
4.0 GPA from a liberal arts college, in sociology 
I did a senior project (using historical methods, but I'd like to pursue quantitative research in the PHD). I also had several research papers I wrote as a sociology major. 
I'm at a top 3 law school (Yale, Harvard, Stanford) 

On a gut level, do I appear competitive for top-10 programs? 

I don't have a GRE at this point. How much should I focus on studying for the GRE? I did well on the LSAT, so I'm confident I can get whatever score I need on the GRE, but my sense is that there may be diminishing returns, as GRE is less important for grad schools than LSAT is for law schools. Should I aim for the highest score possible, or should I set a goal and not worry too much about exceeding that goal? 

I'm concerned about the current economic situation, and the fact that Princeton will not be accepting applications next year. Fewer slots at top programs means the whole process will be more competitive, and that I could get into a lower ranked program than I could have in a different year. Should I apply for 2021-2022, or should I wait a year for 2022-2023? Relatedly, but separately, I may end up with a one year position with a judge. Do people ever take off a year and return to a PHD? That is, could I start 2021-2022, work for a judge in 2022-2023, and then return to the PHD? Or is that type of manouver only common in the later years of a PHD?

How should I make myself a more competitive applicant? Should I cross-register and take sociology courses next year? I could easily see myself in the sociology program of my university.  Should I polish some of my legal writing and get it published in a legal journal? I'm not quantphobic, but I only have surface level quant skills: Statistics, Calc 1. Should I build out those skills now, or just wait for grad school? 

I know this is a lot of questions; no need to respond to all of them. I've only in the past month or two turned my attention to the PHD so I'm just trying to get the lay of the land before I make a plan of attack for the summer. 

What are your research interests? Fit is a huge deal in Sociology PhD applications, unlike law school, which is purely about ranking and numbers. I don't know if you're competitive for a top-10 program unless I know that your research interests fit with any of the top 10 programs. It will also have a ton to do with your SOP, Personal Statement, and writing sample. LORs are also important, and I can see that being a potential weak spot given the more impersonal nature of law school classes. Ideal LORs should be from professors you've done research with. If you're still in touch with any of the professors you worked closely with as an undergrad, get one of them to be one of your three LOR writers.

Also, how's your law school GPA/class rank? Did the courses you chose to take after the first year have an relevance to your research interests? You'll have to find a way to spin your law school years in your SOP. Try to relate them to your research interests, if possible, or end goals. If I were reviewing your app, I'd want to be convinced that you really wanted the PhD and knew what that meant, instead of just ditching at some point to go into big law.

As for GRE, Sociology programs claim to be holistic but it matters to them. These programs are mostly run by old white dudes, so they're only so "progressive." Scores matter less, but definitely aim for 160+ on both sections. If you scored well on the LSAT, which you obviously did, you should be able to rock the verbal and essay. Math is learnable.

The most important thing for your apps is research experience, not more classes in Sociology. You mention research projects for old classes, and it's great to make those sound very research-based in your SOP, but that's not really the same as doing big independent research projects or working with a faculty member on research outside of class or having a publication. Focus any extra time you have on getting research experience. Harvard/Stanford have top Sociology programs, so reach out to faculty if you're at one of those schools for advice. Yale should also have research opportunities and faculty who can help give you ideas. Whether or not your research interests fit with those programs, I don't know.

As for the clerkship, that confuses me because if you want to become a professor, why waste a year on a clerkship? Or do you want to become a law professor? (If so, the PhD isn't actually necessary.) I worry the clerkship would confuse PhD programs, who are already going to have to be convinced that you really do want to do sociological research and be in academia instead of becoming a lawyer.

14 hours ago, Shivashankar said:

Good decision to go with the Phd in Sociology, since you have published research papers in the sociology. If you concerned with the economic situation there are many online universities which you can study without disturbing your regular works. This will help you to overcome the challenges of your economic condition. By waiting 1 year period it will be again a lapse in continuing your degree. Just have a visit of Texila American University provides the students with best online training program in Phd in Sociology.

Eligibility
  • Choose from several interdisciplinary, issue-focused courses
  • Gain both theoretical and practice understanding of complex problems
  • Provides holistic approach to problem solving

Specializations

• Choose from several interdisciplinary, issue-focused courses
  • Gain both theoretical and practice understanding of complex problems
  • Provides holistic approach to problem solving

I have no idea what this post is but OP, please don't fall for some online scam. Online PhDs are not credible. They just aren't. Even the few that exist from real universities, you'll never get a TT job with an online PhD. You should apply to in-person PhD programs both within and outside the T10.