TAships rescinded due to not being in country

FYI, my program informed us that TAships for international students can't be offered this year (or rather rescinded) because Canada can only hire TAs that are living in CA...And right now international students can't get in CA and classes will be online.

Thankfully, I have a job in my home country I can continue that is related to my area of study, but I imagine this will be hard for many + common in other programs.

I suppose at least since people will be at home, they will not have to worry about paying living expenses in Canada and hopefully can continue current jobs as well.

• 1 month later...

@starshiphistory Damn!! Wtf!!!  American trying to get to Canada here - University of Toronto haven't said anything about this, and are continuing to proceed with the TA process regardless of if I can make it to Canada or not.  Do you have a Grad Union at UBC?  You should reach out to them about this if not.  Are they not offering you that funding because of this?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your concern! They are still offering funding through a fellowship that fully covers tuition plus some extra -- they are also going to try to add on more money to the fellowship. So thankfully it doesn't affect me that much and I have a job in my home country that relates to my field.  

My grad program also said that they can only honour half of the funding package if students are not in the country. I will be in the country though so it wouldn't apply to me. The worst thing is probably being in the country + no TA because of program cuts for some upper year students. 

On 5/25/2020 at 6:55 PM, history110 said:

And right now international students can't get in CA and classes will be online.

Can't you enter Canada if you already have a student visa?