University of Michigan - moving to Ann Arbor - question

Peter K.

I'll be starting UM this fall.  I have not secured off campus housing yet in Ann Arbor.  Earlier I was told this was craziness on my part, as the housing market there is crazy competitive, with some places being rented within hours of posting.  But now since UM will be announcing in a few weeks whether they will have students return to campus, or be online-only for the year, I'm wondering if I should wait even longer to rent an apartment with the hopes that if it's online only, rents will go down?  Does it not seem likely that rental prices might drop a little?  I'm one of the millions who would prefer to live alone, so as not to share the germs during this time - and that is the more expensive way to go - though worth it to me.

Has anyone rented an apartment online and then actually liked the place once they saw it in person? In Michigan it's important to have a place with windows and lots of light, as the winters can be dark and depressing - light helps!  (Someone should give landlords photography lessons.)

I'd like to live in Ann Arbor whether students return or not - I have to live somewhere.  I'm over 30 so living with mom and dad is not going to happen.  Plus I figure I'll at least be able to meet some of my professors in person this way, from a safe social distance of course.

Do you think rents near a university will drop if it goes online only?  Is it possible to find a decent place just by looking at photos?

Thanks.

Edited by Peter K.

You might be able to sublet an apartment at a discounted rent rate if UM does online classes only. The big problem with a sublet though is that you'd probably have to give it up if the original tenant wanted to move back in.  That would be sure to happen when/if classes resume in person.

I agree with you about living near campus even if classes are online only.  I think living near campus will be more like a "grad school experience".  Better to be in the campus environment and meet your professors, from a distance as you said.  Social distancing rules will surely fluctuate throughout the year.

I've never rented an apartment sight unseen so can't answer that question, but I do agree that windows/light are helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also moving to Ann Arbor. I've found a complex but haven't signed my lease yet. I am planning to negotiate the rent price down given that I've already heard from at least one professor I am taking a class from that it will be mostly online. I think Michigan is likely looking at offering two options this fall: 100% online option for students who want it or hybrid online/on campus courses for smaller courses/grad classes and classes with labs. 

You can always request a virtual tour of apartments. My landlord showed my current place and she just walked through and showed the potential renter via video call. 

• 2 months later...

Ann Arbor is a beautiful city so your competition for housing is more than just college students (I lived there for two summers).  It's hard to predict rent patterns, but one tactic is to research property management companies, contact them directly, and offer them several months rent up front if they can secure a place for you.  This worked for me and my wife when we moved to Long Beach, CA, where there was also a very competitive rental market in their beautiful Belmont Shores district.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also recommend checking out apartments in the surrounding Ann Arbor suburbs like Pittsfield Township and Ypsilanti if you are looking for affordable or budget-friendly options. I also believe the Ann Arbor public transit system is free to UM faculty and students. Please research if this is still the case.  

• 1 year later...