Already have (non-US) JD, LLM, should I get another LLM or MPA? Long term goal is public service/governance, consulting

escondido41

Question

I'm a mid-career lawyer with JD and LLM and I feel that my career is stalling.  Thinking of getting further education to jumpstart it.  Perhaps a US/UK LLM to add to my LLM will make me more attractive to employers or improve my capabilities in my own practice, but what I really see myself wanting to do is public service, advocacy and perhaps eventually go back to government (I have had stints as a government lawyer)  so I am leading towards MPP or an MPA.  I am 44 years old, so age wise, the HKS MC/MPA seems to be the only one whose average age (still)  fits my age group.  A lot of other good programs seem to attract the younger crowd.  I also have no plans of working in the US so I don't think I will easily earn back what I spend.  On the other hand I see more financial upside to another LLM.  I could expand into another legal specialty or join a better firm/company.  But this doesn't bring me any closer to my long term goal.  I guess my question is will an MPA bring me closer to my goal or should I just keep earning money (or study more to earn more)?

Thanks so much.

5 answers to this question

59 minutes ago, escondido41 said:

I'm a mid-career lawyer with JD and LLM and I feel that my career is stalling.  Thinking of getting further education to jumpstart it.  Perhaps a US/UK LLM to add to my LLM will make me more attractive to employers or improve my capabilities in my own practice, but what I really see myself wanting to do is public service, advocacy and perhaps eventually go back to government (I have had stints as a government lawyer)  so I am leading towards MPP or an MPA.  I am 44 years old, so age wise, the HKS MC/MPA seems to be the only one whose average age (still)  fits my age group.  A lot of other good programs seem to attract the younger crowd.  I also have no plans of working in the US so I don't think I will easily earn back what I spend.  On the other hand I see more financial upside to another LLM.  I could expand into another legal specialty or join a better firm/company.  But this doesn't bring me any closer to my long term goal.  I guess my question is will an MPA bring me closer to my goal or should I just keep earning money (or study more to earn more)?

Thanks so much.

It sounds like that you are just unhappy with your career period. I recommend you think of a career pivot rather than go back to school. I can't answer you question about if an LLM will make a difference because I am not a legal professional. There are some mid career MPA, MPMs, and etc. that might be more of your interest, but the reality is that a lot of those are US based and US focused and they are one big networking festival + excuse to network.

At the end of the day, I recommend you figure out what makes you happy job wise and network into that. A school might teach your tricks and tips to networking, but you got to muster up the will power to do it on your own at a minimum. 

Thanks. You are right. I am unhappy with my career. In applying for jobs I often get shortlisted but never hired, so I feel there’s something missing in what they are looking at. Perhaps another masters could serve as an extra push, and also widen the job options that I can apply to, or ultimately learn a few tricks and go the self employed route, or public service. Though I don’t know how I can recoup the tuition with a public servant’s salary. 

But he, I think a vigorous job search should run parallel to my school applications. 

8 hours ago, escondido41 said:

Thanks. You are right. I am unhappy with my career. In applying for jobs I often get shortlisted but never hired, so I feel there’s something missing in what they are looking at. Perhaps another masters could serve as an extra push, and also widen the job options that I can apply to, or ultimately learn a few tricks and go the self employed route, or public service. Though I don’t know how I can recoup the tuition with a public servant’s salary. 

But he, I think a vigorous job search should run parallel to my school applications. 

Usually when you are shortlisted that that means they like your resume but during the interview process there is something about you that leads to concern or doubt vs. the competition. It is most likely not because you lack a Master's degree. Your JD + work experience overly compensates for this. I recommend you keep on applying and if you don't get a job, ask for feedback. It may be something you can change, or it might not be. I recommend you figure out the problem before you go get a Master's degree when the likelihood of that changing anything would be very small.

Thanks.  An anecdote about me is the that I almost always get the jobs when I do a personal interview but 99% of my phone interviews don't end well.  I guess my charming personality doesn't come through.  I did ask once why I was not selected and they just said someone else's qualifications were a better bit.  They could just be being nice though.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:14 PM, escondido41 said:

Thanks.  An anecdote about me is the that I almost always get the jobs when I do a personal interview but 99% of my phone interviews don't end well.  I guess my charming personality doesn't come through.  I did ask once why I was not selected and they just said someone else's qualifications were a better bit.  They could just be being nice though.

So better doesn't always mean more. It could mean a better fitting or from an institution where a lot of alum occupy the employer.