Applying with a low undergraduate GPA.

Gingergal2020

Question

How much does GPA matter in applying to grad school? If I am a few years out of undergrad, and have a low GPA, but in the meantime have been doing research/science related work, how do I know when the right time to apply is? / what are my chances of being competitive with a low GPA? 

3 answers to this question

Hi Gingergal, 

Being on the humanities side of things I can’t speak directly to your question, but I would suggest you post this question in the subforum dedicated to your particular scientific field where you should get responses tailored to your  field. You should probably also mention your particular interests and actual GPA to get the best answers to your questions. 

Good luck!

I also have a low-undergrad GPA. I feel like the research/job experience helps a lot in the application. Having a high GRE score will get you to their front doors.

They want to know that you're able to conduct an original research and think critically.

I'm currently doing a Master's and try to get a better GPA to apply for the PhD. 

I don't know if I answer your question. 

I teared a bit at the prayer. 3 semesters ago I went through a difficult life phase and my GPA dropped to 0.2. since then I worked hard and got it back up to 2.3 with 2 sems left so hopefully I can bring it back up. Don't feel bad about your GPA because there is always another quality in you that will shine. Thank you for this video, much appreciated ?♥️