Publish or Perish

Snasser

I recently read a paper at a conference that is ready for submission for publication (the long version of the paper, that is). After the conference I was approached by one of the organizers who said that s/he is interested in organizing an edited collection related to our common research interests. This person typically works with very well respected publishers. This would *not* be a conference proceedings, but a book published independently and subject to peer review as any other book would be.

My question is, when thinking strategically, which is going to help my career in the long run: a paper in a respected journal (but not *the very best* journal - I plan to wait for dissertation material to be ready for submission to these) or a chapter in an edited collection (highly respected editor, very good/ one of the best academic publishing houses in my field)?

I should also add that I would really like to eventually apply for a Post-Doc in this person's department.

Any thoughts?

I recently read a paper at a conference that is ready for submission for publication (the long version of the paper, that is). After the conference I was approached by one of the organizers who said that s/he is interested in organizing an edited collection related to our common research interests. This person typically works with very well respected publishers. This would *not* be a conference proceedings, but a book published independently and subject to peer review as any other book would be.

My question is, when thinking strategically, which is going to help my career in the long run: a paper in a respected journal (but not *the very best* journal - I plan to wait for dissertation material to be ready for submission to these) or a chapter in an edited collection (highly respected editor, very good/ one of the best academic publishing houses in my field)?

I should also add that I would really like to eventually apply for a Post-Doc in this person's department.

Any thoughts?

I think that it would probably be a good relationship-building move to have the chapter in the edited collection, since you want to do a Post-Doc with this individual. May I suggest, however, that you might get a more informed cross-section of the academic community if you post this same question over at the Chronicle of Higher Education forums? The address is "www.chronicle.com/forums" and it is frequented by academics in all stages of their career, whereas these boards tend to cater more to those of us in the earlier stages. Not to knock the range of responses you'll get here -- at all. I just think that you might find that the depth of experience in negotiating these kinds of tough choices is richer over there!

In any event, good luck to you.

IMO, I would go with the edited book. Good relationship builder plus you have got an in it looks like, and the more you publish the easier it is to be seriously considered with each new essay as I understand, so if you have stuff in the pipeline then... Plus, if this a good publishing house and editor it should the same prestige as an equal journal. Also you could send it out to ten+ journals and some assholes readers could end up dogging it for bs reasons. My first attempt at publication garnered incredibly ignorant reader responses, but I have since had other interests in this essay after backburnering it. I also think I submitted to the wrong venue. If this seems like a sure thing, I would not take the risk of shopping out after you already have a good offer at a good venue.