Two TX schools phd

miketx

So I’m very torn between two schools for a PhD in liberal arts (special ed)
 One school is offering a full ride scholarship and another an assistantship that covers part time tuition. 

But my biggest deal is leaving the kids (who fueled this decision for this program) behind to pursue this degree. 
Is choosing a seemingly less ranked school (with more to pay out of pocket) unwise for future career prospects in academia/professional practice.

To clarify, is the fully funded program higher ranked as well? Personally, I would go with that program. Less debt is always a good way to go. With kids, I'm assuming that money can be put to much better use. However, I guess it depends on how feasible it is for you to relocate or be away from your family. 

1 hour ago, miketx said:

Yeah it is highly ranked as well

So yeah, this school is better ranked and is fully funded, meaning no debt. If you have any interests in academia, which you hinted at in your original post, rankings do matter. It really comes down to if your family can make the logistics work, and if you are comfortable with the way that will look.