Harris vs. Cornell CIPA

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to make a final decision between attending the MPP program at UChicago's Harris School and the MPA program at Cornell's CIPA, and would really appreciate any advice you can give.

I've received very comparable offers from both schools (full or almost-full tuition), visited both, and generally liked both. I'm interested primarily in social policy, enjoy international environments and/or urban environments, and ultimately want to work on the East Coast after graduation (DC, NYC, etc).

My main concerns were:

-- MATH at UChicago. While I appreciate the importance of core econ/quant skills when analyzing policy, I don't like math, and the curriculum at UChicago seemed excessively quant-heavy.

-- The reputation of CIPA. It's a newer program, is ranked considerably lower than Harris, and some of my professors and colleagues in DC have expressed generally negative views of the academic quality of the program relative to other top-tier schools (Chicago, Ford, Goldman, HKS, WWS, etc).

The main positives I see of each school are:

-- The emphasis on social policy, especially poverty and inequality, at Harris. Once I finish the quant-heavy core curriculum (after the first 2 of 6 quarters), I'd really enjoy the concentration classes at Harris.

-- The flexibility of CIPA's program, which allows you to completely individualize your course of study.

Does anyone have any advice regarding these two programs? Am I unnecessarily concerned about the quant-centric courses at Harris? Is the ranking of CIPA largely irrelevant, given that it carries "brand name" recognition as an Ivy?

Does anyone have any insight into whether the career opportunities upon graduation from the two schools would differ significantly?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help.

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to make a final decision between attending the MPP program at UChicago's Harris School and the MPA program at Cornell's CIPA, and would really appreciate any advice you can give.

I've received very comparable offers from both schools (full or almost-full tuition), visited both, and generally liked both. I'm interested primarily in social policy, enjoy international environments and/or urban environments, and ultimately want to work on the East Coast after graduation (DC, NYC, etc).

My main concerns were:

-- MATH at UChicago. While I appreciate the importance of core econ/quant skills when analyzing policy, I don't like math, and the curriculum at UChicago seemed excessively quant-heavy.

-- The reputation of CIPA. It's a newer program, is ranked considerably lower than Harris, and some of my professors and colleagues in DC have expressed generally negative views of the academic quality of the program relative to other top-tier schools (Chicago, Ford, Goldman, HKS, WWS, etc).

The main positives I see of each school are:

-- The emphasis on social policy, especially poverty and inequality, at Harris. Once I finish the quant-heavy core curriculum (after the first 2 of 6 quarters), I'd really enjoy the concentration classes at Harris.

-- The flexibility of CIPA's program, which allows you to completely individualize your course of study.

Does anyone have any advice regarding these two programs? Am I unnecessarily concerned about the quant-centric courses at Harris? Is the ranking of CIPA largely irrelevant, given that it carries "brand name" recognition as an Ivy?

Does anyone have any insight into whether the career opportunities upon graduation from the two schools would differ significantly?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the rankings, if I were you. That aside, I think it's pretty regularly understood that Harris is a better program. CIPA is newer, Ithaca is a bit far out, and I haven't come across too many CIPA grads (I've met more Taubman, Fels, and William and Mary grads) in my line of work (in government and media). That said, I don't think anyone in their right mind would mock you for choosing Cornell - it's a fine school, a nice place to live, and I'm sure their program's reputation will improve with time.

At the same time, don't let math scare you. That will forever put you into a pigeonhole form which you'll never escape unless you confront it. I had the same problem when I was going for my MPA. Lots of stats and finance courses and I didn't feel prepared - but I decided that I was going to get through it come hell or high water, and I did. I'm a lot more confident because of it now and I am not afraid of doing quant stuff anymore, which is surprisingly liberating. That may sound kind of cheesy, but there's really no reason to not go somewhere really great because you're afraid of the math. The whole point of grad school, after all, is to gain additional skills to make you a better thinker and worker - hard to say you're doing that unless you're really being challenged.

Anyway, story short, I'd say go with Harris. I don't think you'll be badly off if you go with CIPA, but the reputation, location (Chicago is a great city and Hyde Park is a wonderful neighborhood - if it was good enough for Pres Obama, I think it will be for you too), and access you'll get at Chicago/Harris (easily more than at Cornell, though still nothing to sneeze at) should more than put it over the top.

Still, visit them both and see how you feel. Remember, you're going to be living there for two years so you want to also feel comfortable in the environment. If you're not comfortable, then it doesn't matter what the reputation of the school is. Hope this helps!

Harris grad here.

I think it would be unwise to base your decision on a fear of math. The standard sequences in statistics and economics at Harris are not that math-heavy. As long as you are willing to work, you will be fine. I would add that social policy is a real strength at Harris. I don't know enough about CIPA to offer a comparison, but Harris is a good choice. The fact that they offered you a good scholarship tells me that you are underestimating yourself.

Good luck with your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading to CIPA, and I'll tell you why.

The program is very flexible. You can take classes all over the school, which is why I don't understand how some people may not think that highly of the academics. Cornell is known for great academics, and you are choosing which classes to take in already highly regarded programs.

The Cornerstone Program is very exciting to me. You get real clients with real problems and work with professors on finding and implementing solutions. CIPA has already been recognized by the UN for their work in Bosnia.

You can take classes everywhere, from Rome to DC. The have links to internships all over the country and world. They have a fantastic support system for getting you where you want to go. And with a 90% employment rate (with the rest going off to law school or further studies), that is nothing to scoff at.

The financial support is just the tip of the iceberg on how helpful and supportive they are for their students.

Overall, I was impressed with how friendly and enthusiastic everyone was in CIPA. I'm very excited for the fall!

• 10 months later...

90% employment? employed in the states? doubt the figure. obviously didn't take international students into consideration.

I'm heading to CIPA, and I'll tell you why.

The program is very flexible. You can take classes all over the school, which is why I don't understand how some people may not think that highly of the academics. Cornell is known for great academics, and you are choosing which classes to take in already highly regarded programs.

The Cornerstone Program is very exciting to me. You get real clients with real problems and work with professors on finding and implementing solutions. CIPA has already been recognized by the UN for their work in Bosnia.

You can take classes everywhere, from Rome to DC. The have links to internships all over the country and world. They have a fantastic support system for getting you where you want to go. And with a 90% employment rate (with the rest going off to law school or further studies), that is nothing to scoff at.

The financial support is just the tip of the iceberg on how helpful and supportive they are for their students.

Overall, I was impressed with how friendly and enthusiastic everyone was in CIPA. I'm very excited for the fall!