Applying Early to Programs

Hey everyone! I have been looking at biostatistics programs and I have noticed at some of these programs (especially the huge health centers) they open applications quite early (August or September) and some even say that they encourage early applications. How do these work? Do a small percentage of programs do rolling admissions? From what I have seen on this forum, it    seems like interviews in January/February are standard. If some of these programs accept or interview early, I could definitely have my whole application package ready by August and if I could apply as early as possible that would be such a relief!

Most programs meet after the deadline and start looking at applications. But if they specifically say something about earlier being better and your profile is exceptional, it might be possible. I was admitted to a top 50 statistics department in early November years ago and it took a lot of the pressure off!

As an aside I think there are benefits to applying later in the cycle (especially as late as possible) if they don't mention that they do any sort of rolling admissions, as you can take the fall semester to improve your relationship with the professors writing your rec letters. I say this because I managed to get a research opportunity late August and the recommendation letter I got from that definitely strengthened my application profile considerably, but it doesn't have to be research. You could try and initiate a DRP with a professor writing you a rec letter or be a TA for one of their courses.