Profile Evaluation/Future Recommendations Fall 2021

Hello! I'm planning to apply for Stats Ph.D programs in Fall 2021, so I'm currently a rising Junior. I don't have a lot of my profile finalized since I've still got a one more year, but I guess if this could be sort of an evaluation plus a recommendation for what holes I should focus on filling this coming year, that would be amazing!

Edit: I realize that I'm unsure about the terminology? I plan to apply in Fall 2021 to programs that start in Fall 2022. Sorry if that's confusing and please correct me if I was wrong.

Undergrad Institution: Top 3 Stats University (US News)
Major: Mathematics
GPA: 3.71
Type of student: Domestic male (URM)

GRE (I haven't taken it yet)

Relevant courses:
Math: 
Calc III (B+), Linear Programming (A), Intro to Probability (B+), Combinatorics (Pass), Real Analysis I (A), Proof-Based Linear Algebra (A), Real Analysis II (Pass, Covid Quarter), Differential Equations (Pass, Covid Quarter)
** I plan to additionally take a course on Measure Theory, Measure-Theoretic Stochastic Processes, Linear Dynamical Systems, and Functional Analysis next year.
Stats: Data Analysis (A), Intro to Regression (A-), Longitudinal Data Analysis + Survival Analysis (Pass, Covid Quarter)

** I plan to additionally take Mathematical Statistics and a second Regression/ANOVA class next year
CS: Intro to Programming (A), Programming II (B)

** I plan to additonally take Analysis of Algorithms and Machine Learning

Research: 8 or so months working on a Public Health research project where I am implementing some Statistical Models. Hopefully will turn into paper.

Other: I've taken part in a Measure Theory directed reading program that resulted in a small talk.

Programs Considering:
Not sure where I fit yet, but hopefully want to apply to the highest ranked universities that I have a chance at.

Right now I think the gaps in my application are probably my Bs in various classes, but I hope that since they were all Freshman year that it will be weighed accordingly. I think my grades this coming year in the planned courses should be pretty solid as I've focused up and hit my stride, I believe. Please let me know any comments you have or suggestions for things I could do/classes I could take in the following year! Also, aside from the fact that LORs usually come from more well-known people, does the university you went to actually have a significant impact? Also, does being Domestic and URM actually help much? Department websites obviously don't divulge this info. 

Edited by discreature

- If you have not already taken it yet, take real analysis. And prioritize taking math classes rather than undergrad stat courses. Get A's in your math clases.

- Score well on the math section of the general GRE - ideally 164+. Unless you are planning to apply to Stanford or a school that "strongly recommends it," you don't need to worry about the Subject GRE.

- It seems like research experience is becoming more common for applicants to Stat PhD programs, so try to get some if you can.

5 minutes ago, Stat Assistant Professor said:

- If you have not already taken it yet, take real analysis. And prioritize taking math classes rather than undergrad stat courses. Get A's in your math clases.

- Score well on the math section of the general GRE - ideally 164+. Unless you are planning to apply to Stanford or a school that "strongly recommends it," you don't need to worry about the Subject GRE.

- It seems like research experience is becoming more common for applicants to Stat PhD programs, so try to get some if you can.

Thank you for the info! Sorry, I prematurely posted and then added in my info, if you're willing to take another look.

Domestic URM with an A in real analysis from a top 3 department -- you'll be in great shape assuming you do reasonably well on GRE.  If you applied today, I think top 10 is possible, definitely top 20s, with maybe some safeties in top 40.  Get some research experience so you can get some good letters, keep it up with the math grades, and I think you'll be in great shape to get into top 10 programs by the time you apply. Don't worry about the early grades at all.

To answer your question, the school you go to matters in the sense that your grades will be taken more seriously, and your letters will come from more known people.

13 hours ago, discreature said:

Thank you for the info! Sorry, I prematurely posted and then added in my info, if you're willing to take another look.

After you updated your post with your info, I would have to agree with the posters above that your profile is very strong. You could probably apply to all top 10 programs, and I'm sure you would get into at least a few of them. UC Berkeley and UW definitely seem plausible, as does Stanford if you can score well on the Math Subject GRE. If you are more flexible about your geographical preferences, you could probably get into really good schools on the east coast or midwest as well.