Social Work Graduate Program Recommendations

Hello!

I am a BSW student about to start my senior year so I am looking into grad schools to get my MSW. So far I have looked at Columbia, Fordham, UNC- Chapel Hill, and Florida State! Just wondering if anyone had any tips on choosing a grad school- what to look for, how to plan, and what experiences anyone has had with any of these grad schools!!

Thank you! 

What is your goal with the MSW? For instance, if it is to be a licensed clinical social worker and do therapy, going with a state school is usually your best bet to alleviate debt-load and get a good quality education. 

6 minutes ago, gradschoolsocialwork said:

I'm still trying to decide if I want to get my LCSW and do therapy or if I want to do something like school social work. 

For either of those, your state university will be sufficient. Applying to the higher priced big-name schools (like Columbia) is really only a leg up when you want to work for big NGOs and things like that where networking is a huge deal to get your foot in the door. Social workers are notoriously underpaid and most state schools have solid training, so you don't want to put yourself in a ton of extra debt if you don't have to. 

Just now, PsyDuck90 said:

For either of those, your state university will be sufficient. Applying to the higher priced big-name schools (like Columbia) is really only a leg up when you want to work for big NGOs and things like that where networking is a huge deal to get your foot in the door. Social workers are notoriously underpaid and most state schools have solid training, so you don't want to put yourself in a ton of extra debt if you don't have to. 

Yeah, you're right. It's so easy to get caught up in the flashiness of universities like Columbia. Have you had any experiences with specific state universities that you could recommend? I'm open to pretty much anything right now!!

1 hour ago, gradschoolsocialwork said:

Yeah, you're right. It's so easy to get caught up in the flashiness of universities like Columbia. Have you had any experiences with specific state universities that you could recommend? I'm open to pretty much anything right now!!

I would just check out the one in the state you're in now. In-state tuition is always cheaper. I know many social workers from a few of the state schools in my state, and they are all fantastic.  

56 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

I would just check out the one in the state you're in now. In-state tuition is always cheaper. I know many social workers from a few of the state schools in my state, and they are all fantastic.  

Okay, thank you for your input! I really appreciate it! 

• 4 months later...
On 7/9/2020 at 1:00 PM, gradschoolsocialwork said:

Hello!

I am a BSW student about to start my senior year so I am looking into grad schools to get my MSW. So far I have looked at Columbia, Fordham, UNC- Chapel Hill, and Florida State! Just wondering if anyone had any tips on choosing a grad school- what to look for, how to plan, and what experiences anyone has had with any of these grad schools!!

Thank you! 

I would also think about what you want in a program. For me, I wanted something that had a strong social justice orientation and the school I chose had just that. I went to a state school and received a solid education. I did get accepted to Columbia's MSW program but they charge $50,000 in tuition and they only offered loans, which just wasn't practical looking at what a social worker makes. I think the advice you've already received is great, but think about what you want in the curriculum as well. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 1:56 PM, namarie said:

I would also think about what you want in a program. For me, I wanted something that had a strong social justice orientation and the school I chose had just that. I went to a state school and received a solid education. I did get accepted to Columbia's MSW program but they charge $50,000 in tuition and they only offered loans, which just wasn't practical looking at what a social worker makes. I think the advice you've already received is great, but think about what you want in the curriculum as well. 

I am so sorry I am just getting to this. You're absolutely right. I only ended up applying to two schools and one of them is columbia. It's so pricey & even though its my dream school, I don't think I can justify the price even if i get in :(