When your graduate advisor is your potential doctoral advisor

Cold Latte

Hi all. I've recently completed my master's in one of the Divinity Schools and am thinking of applying to doctoral programs in religious studies this fall. My question has to do with working with the same advisor I had in my master's program: my interest fits well with his and I think it would be great to pursue a phd under his guidance. But of course I will apply to several other institutions as well.

And now it feels complicated because he is both my LOR writer (who I would also like to ask for advice on application process and on other programs that fit my interest) and a prospective advisor. Is it still possible that he writes LOR for me when I apply to work with him? And what could be the best way to approach him about this issue? I maintained good but still formal relations with him. 

I will deeply appreciate any insight or advice you can give! 

Getting your M* and PhD at the same institution is perfectly fine, don't worry about it! The only concern is people who get their BA, M*, and PhD at the same school.

Having your MA advisor potentially be your PhD advisor would be great. On the one hand, it can literally personally vouch for you come Admissions. Second, y'all already know each other really well.

Yes, he can absolutely write your LOR and advocate for you. Every department/school does it differently. Some are so small that everyone essentially sits on the Admissions Committee whereas others have faculty rotate. He'll be able to tell you how they do it.

Just ask him! "I've really come to enjoy having you as an advisor and I'd love to consider staying on as a PhD student. By chance would you be able to take on a student and potentially be my advisor? By chance do you have any advice for me as I look to apply?" Something like that, short and sweet!

45 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Getting your M* and PhD at the same institution is perfectly fine, don't worry about it! The only concern is people who get their BA, M*, and PhD at the same school.

Having your MA advisor potentially be your PhD advisor would be great. On the one hand, it can literally personally vouch for you come Admissions. Second, y'all already know each other really well.

Yes, he can absolutely write your LOR and advocate for you. Every department/school does it differently. Some are so small that everyone essentially sits on the Admissions Committee whereas others have faculty rotate. He'll be able to tell you how they do it.

Just ask him! "I've really come to enjoy having you as an advisor and I'd love to consider staying on as a PhD student. By chance would you be able to take on a student and potentially be my advisor? By chance do you have any advice for me as I look to apply?" Something like that, short and sweet!

Thank you so much for the reply. This is really helpful!