Artist applying to Divinity School

Mgilla16

Question

Hello all! Hope everyone's safe and sane amidst these trying times. 

I've been considering divinity school for several years now and finally feel ready to embark on the application process. I am what you'd call an unconventional candidate. I graduated from NYU in 2013 with a BFA in Theater. Since then I have spent my "adult life" creating original works of experimental theater in NYC and the Boston area. I also spent time as a caregiver and am on my 4th year of farming. My ideal program would be interfaith, as my goal is to bring my abilities in creating unconventional spaces into conversation with questions of larger meaning and purpose (ministry.) I am just at the beginning of the process and have been out of the academic game for awhile, thus- questions! 

First off, I graduated in 3 years for financial reasons- my cumulative GPA is 3.54 which doesn't feel high enough for the programs I'm looking at (HDS, YDS, Union....) However I feel a large part of that was the due to the time restraint I put myself under....thoughts on this would be appreciated! 

Which leads me to the ol' GRE question...I know many programs no longer require it, including HDS. However given my mediocre GPA is it worth a shot for those that will take it under consideration? Please note I am a very right-brained thinker (experimental theater artist!) and do not have the fondest memories of standardized test taking.

Recommendations...Given that I have been out of academia for awhile and have spent my professional career doing seemingly un-school-related things, how important is it to get solely academic recommendations vs. those who may know my work/ character better and how my abilities might translate to an Mdiv program?

Lastly, any advice on programs would be much appreciated! The goal is to attend a top program that allows for some fluidity by way of inter-denomination focus. I myself do not adhere to any one religion in particular. As I mentioned I am looking at HDS, YDS, and Union. I would hope to enter into a Mdiv program and create my own trajectory, design an "unconventional ministry" if you will...so I am also interested in programs with a strong fieldwork focus. 

Thank you for any and all advice!  I so appreciate it!

2 answers to this question

I don't know how to specifically answer your question, but I also received my BFA and applied to Master's programs. I went to an arts school, not even a regular college. In my experience, having a BFA was not really an issue for me, I even got into Duke's business school (granted I had a more marketable degree like Graphic Design). I think you should be totally fine and it seems like you have a very strong purpose for pursuing a Master's in Divinity. 

I'm sure in your application you can explain your 3.54 gpa. The time constraints of graduating in three years seems like a very understandable reason.

Overall, just have some backups and safety schools. I go to an Ivy League for a Master's, and I personally did not think it was that difficult to get in.

I felt like I was accepted for very holistic purposes and I do think many Master's programs actually like unconventional backgrounds and perspectives, although I am not sure if Divinity School would be different.